bait question

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by lendog, Jan 19, 2009.

1. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if the daily limit of sunnies and gills is 50, how many can i legally have in my possession at home in a bait tank? thanks

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    thats a good question Lenny. i have no idea on that one.

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Nowhere do I see a possession limit in the book. Im assuming that as long as you dont take more than 50 per day that there is no possession limit.

Good question though.

4. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Good question--I would like to know the answer to that one as well.

5. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    maybe give them a call and ask

6. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Good question Lendog suppose it depends on which game warden you ask and on what day....:confused2: I would email them...

Ps..Save the email...Lol...

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If a Fish and game officer checks you and you had 50 gills, you are good to go. But if you have 51, you are 1 over your creel limit. Possession means what you presently have on you.

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    well if i can only have 50 in a bait tank at home i'll just say the rest belong to the wife:smile2:

9. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    i searched the whole 2009 pa fishing summary and it doesnt say how many you can possess. if there is i dont think the fish commission is going to come to your house and check.

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think you can only have 50 on you at any time. Even if you caught 50 one day and 50 the next. At home in a bait tank is fine, but once you take them out as bait I would say 50 is max...

11. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that could be tricky, depends on state laws and the game warden id say better be careful fines are usually per fish hate to see someone in trouble for that times are tough enough

12. katplayer187

katplayer187 New Member

State:
    WEST END-PITTSBURGH,PA
    i would say it would be 50 because if the warden catches you with more than 50 how can you say hey i only caught them today or ive been holdin them for a week most wardens arent gonna go for that.... really why would you fish with more than 50 gills in 1 trip seems a lil much...

13. jconna

jconna New Member

State:
    PA
    Not sure if the law is anything like the fish commission handles rattlesnakes, but with them.....The daily possession limit is 1 (only with a permit). That 1 possession limit follows over into how many I am permitted to keep at home also. Not sure if the blue-gill limit is similar or not but a good question.

14. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Just make sure that when you go fishing, there are 2 people that way you could have 100 in possesion. I don't think that you would have a prob. keeping a bunch at home.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I dunno about you guys, but I have fished the The Schuykill for about 10 years now and the only time I have ever been checked by Fish and Game was:
    1. Tidal Skuke during the shad run.
    2. Opening Day trout season.
    3. Lakes and Impoundments.

If ya on the river, you are safe.

16. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i was at the skuke a few years back bank fishin and a fish & game dude went past on his boat, i could hear the boat but couldn't see it any more, next thing i know game warden came walkin up behind us, all sneaky like, ta check us, guess he was board that day, another time bank fishin the fish and game checked us and my cousin forgot his license at home and had ta send it in to them to varify he had one, but both of those times it was during the day, i've never seen any out after dark
    i never have more than the daily limit of bait on me when out fishin, i was just wondering if the same rule aplied while bait was kept at home, it would be nice ta hold 75-100 baits at home that way i'm not goin out every day catchin some, i could just bury the tank in the yard and call it a pond:wink:

17. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex Active Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    whats the legal size to keep gills?

18. dirt138

dirt138 New Member

State:
    Springdale, Pennsylvania
    the possesion limit is 50 and that counts at home too. I wish I could remember where I had read that but I know that I read it. You would be hard pressed though to find a warden that would check your bait tank. even if they did check your tank at home they would be hard pressed to make a case against you considering that they couldnt prove you didnt buy or breed them. As long as you take less than 50 out fishing you shouldnt have aproblem at all.

as for xnmcclurex if you are not fishing in panfish enhancement areas there is no size restrictions. I believe there are in these special restriction areas though.

19. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    very good question lenny,the way i have always understood it is 50 in possen with you while you are fishing not at home as 4 size there is none except in specail waters

20. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Well I guess that I have to stay under 200 at the house then. I figure that I can have 50 per child under 16 and myself. But then I can go and load up on suckers and crappie.