Bait Question - What can I use when I can't catch shad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TIGER44, Mar 28, 2006.

1. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    I Fish Alot Of Texas Lakes And I Am Good A Catching Shad From Most Lakes But, When I Am Not Able To Find Shad What Would You Recomend I Use As Bait For Big Flats Or Blues?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    both flats and blues love chubs and suckers as well, especially the heads for cut-bait. used to catch a lot of blues at pay-lakes with leaches, and big wads of nite-crawlers.

3. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    See now i'd have to go with Bluegils and/or Bullheads if you can find and catch them...

4. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Blue Gills if there is no shad. Flats can be caught with Danny King's punch bait but not offten. Now the Blues and Channels will tear this stuff up all year around. IMO ya need to get ya some...

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Fresh is best but Frozen Shad May work better then cut Gill , Sucker Etc.,.

Take and use both and Let THEM DECIDE what they want.

:008:

6. SSanta090

SSanta090 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    any idea about whether green sunfish and bluegills are better or worse than suckers/shad? Around here, bluegills can be caught at like 5 fish a minute during the summer. Never seen any sucker or shad though, and eels are kinda rare.

7. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Agreed.... bluegill are my favorite and sometimes I swear work better than shad.... and they're not nearly as messy.

I always "butterfly" bluegill. Slide filet knife through body behind the gills and filet backwards to tail. Do same on both sides... and then cut through the spine and remove dorsal, spine and tail. You end up with a bluegill basically shaped like a butterfly. Filets still attached at gills but they flop freely. The theory is that removal of spine and dorsal fin makes it easier for catfish to "suck 'em in." Works for me.

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Don't forget about big shiners, suckers, carp, sheephead, and goldfish if legal. Use 'em live or cut. Sometimes frozen works as good or better than fresh. If you can't get those from a local creek, try your fish market for spanish or other mackerel - the oilier, the better. Play around with the bait and presentation 'til you hit on one you like.

Dennis

9. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I like to use bluegill fillets .frozen is ok fresh is better

10. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use nothing but fresh cut bait, bluegill,shad,white perch,blue back heron,white bass, I always keep them alive untill i get ready to bait up . I use 2 bait tanks........

11. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    cut bluegill and sucker meat

12. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Tiger44,
    I have had luck with small bream about 3-4 inches long and cutting just the tails off them so they can wiggle around and it disperses scent at the same time. I hook them in the lips or behind the dorsal fin. The 6/0 hook is as big as they are but it seems to work...lol. Hope this helps.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For flatheads, I'd definitely go with live bait: bream, crappie, bullheads, goldfish. Just be sure to check your state's regs to see what's legal.
    When I can't get fresh shad, and I'm out of skipjack, I've had some success using cured chicken liver; chitlings flavored with garlic powder, anise, or shrimp flavoring from Ramen noodles; salt pork; bacon. Fresh or frozen skipjack and fresh shad will almost always outproduce these backup baits, but they are definitely better than nothing.

14. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    William, these guys know what they are talking about, they use the same thing I use, any live bait is better for flats but DK punch bait works well for those Blues and channels. You just can't go wrong with the brothers in here.
    Best place for all questions for catfishing on the BOC.

Talk to you soon

AL

15. TIGER44

TIGER44 New Member

State:
    MANSFIELD. TEXAS
    I Will Try Live Perch If To No Avale I Will Butterfly Them You Have All Been A Lot Of Help. Thanks All My Friends At The Boc.

16. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would suggest any native (legal) fish. Also old standbys like worms, leeches, water dogs, and even mice.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I won't use cut bream, because when I tried it, all I caught were channel cats. While I do catch some channels, I try to target the blues.