Bait question for Santee Lakes

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Apr 1, 2007.

1. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey guys,

I was over at my dads place today and was looking at the neighbors pond. Dad said it was overloaded with small bream so I figured I'd catch some for this coming weekend. Well when we walked back there, small bream are not the only thing. It's also LOADED with big tadpoles. I haven't seen tadpoles in years, was wondering if anyone ever used them for cats. I know as a kid I use to catch a lot of bass with them when we pond fished. Has anyone ever had any experience with them for cats on the lake?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I've never used em in lakes.I've caught a few kittys in ponds with them but they still wouldnt outfish other baits.

3. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the response Chris, I might take a few next weekend just for grins. Who knows, might land a bass on them in the shallows. I think we are going to try the shallows near the Brick Yard next Saturday.

4. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I tried them at santee one summer, never got a single bite with them. A guy on the boc, jim helring, told me they produce some kind of a smel, chemical,lor something like that which repels fish from eating them.

5. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I tried them less than 3 weeks ago without a bite.

6. scwolf

scwolf New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the response guys,

I think I'll stick with the tried and true. I'll catch some of the live bream from the pond and leave the tad poles alone. Hopefully the cold front won't change things to bad, but will be fishing off of the channel so if they aren't shallow I'll have some deep water to try out also.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I never had much luck with bait I have caught and brought to the lake to fish with I always have better luck with what I cach at the lake. I have also heard that tadpoles do produce a bad taste to fish. I did catch a 25lb flathead in the river on a bullfrog once though. Good luck and let us know how you do.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I was glad to read that; I've noticed the same thing. I've tried bream from a small farm pond up there, but have yet to catch a fish on them in the lakes for some reason, although I've caught quite a few on bream and perch that I catch at the lake. :confused2:

9. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    I have also noticed the same thing about pond bait while fishing in the rivers here in NC.

Toads and some other kinds of frogs actually secrete some kind of chemical that can kill dogs if they pick them up in their mouth. It causes the dog to go into shock or something and they can die from it. I read that in a brochure at the veteranarians office one day. I never have heard that about frogs and fish before. I have given frogs a fair test as catfish bait over the years though, and have caught a few catfish with them, but I would have to say that they're prolly the sorriest bait I've ever tried!

10. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Now I must say this much about bait from out of state.I know this dude that fishing both lakes,and when he goes there,he will not leave without WVa creek chubs and bluegills,aka bream.In one night there he was fishing right outside Harry's and caught 2 over 60lbs,The pictures are in Harry's dining room.The big redheaded guy,and a smile from ear to ear.His name is Larry,just ask Mike about this story.He loves to tell about it.

11. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have never had any luck with tadpoles. You should be able to catch bream, or white perch with worms at the lake. I catch them with a bream buster and worms no weight and no cork.Hope this helps. Good Luck

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you bring bait from another body of water ie ponds etc put them in the local lake water you intend to fish for 12 hrs or so.Different bodies of water have an inherent scent to them just like different areas on land smell different to us.Fish will insticntively prefer bait from the same water because they can detect that familiar smell or taste.:smile2: