Bait question for Saginaw river during the walleye run

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by sal_jr, Mar 14, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    OK, so we know you cant target walleye on the Saggie during the run and in few days it will shut down till the 29th of April.... Here is my question:

If we cant legally have what would be considered walleye lures or livebait that could be misconstrued as a walleye-targeting attractant, then how do we go about nailing channel cats on live bait with minnows or worms?

My buddy tells me that if they even see a jig in your posession... EVEN in your box, they will bust you.

Hmm..... How then do I go about doing this??????

I know I wont use a jig for a channel cat, but isnt the rule a bit vague?

I dont want my new boat to become the DNR's new boat... thats for sure!

What do ya think??????

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I'm not sure Sal, but I believe that if you don't have a walleye in your possession, there is nothing the DNR can do. There is an open season on catfish in the State of Michigan. (open all year) So, if your not targetting Walleye, which would mean not having them in your possession. I think you are safe.
    When we go sucker fishing, we always catch a few Walleye. We just release them. We see the DNR all the time sucker fishing, they say nothing.
    As far as having jigs in your possession, thats BS. The Law reads, " It is unlawful to possess or sell a multi-pointed hook with a weight permanently attached. Outside of that any lure within reason is legal. I don't think you can possess TNT. LOL
    Sparky

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Well there goes my second question.... LOL

Well, Ill have to check again with my bud- I know the rules say that channels are open year round but Im sure if you said you were channel cat fishing with a jig and a bucket of minnows, they'd sure watch you closely.... probably from inside Hooters in a "covert" manner...

"Pass the wings... and hand me my knockers...er...binocuilars. I've got my eyes on a suck um... er squeezespect...er.... suspect!"

LMAO

I will just have to call a DNR guy and ask directly. I just hate having to call them and ask though cause usually you get voicemail and it gives you the creepy feeling like you're doing something wrong when they ask for a complete description of what you plan to do before they get back to you. I know I try to stay within the rules and regs... but it dont matter what happens, I always feel like Im breaking the law by just talking to em. You saw how edgy I got on the k-zoo last year when we got boarded.... my mouth goes into overdrive- worse than on here!

aww well... This thread will be continued.
    :rolleyes:

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Maybe this will help you a little bit. The burden of proof is with the DNR. Now, here is the law as written in the fish book (April 1, 2006 through March 31, 2008) I don't think they have change the law from last year. It Reads!
    Bay County: Kawkawlin R. and all tributaries upstream of Euclid Ave., and Saganing Cr. (upstream from State Rd.) and PineR. (upstream from State Rd.) closed to fishing March 16 through the friday before the last Sat. in April on the Kawkawlin R. downstream from Euclid Ave. and the Saginaw R. and all tributaries, the following regulations apply from March 16 - Fri. before the last Sat. in Apri: unlawful to fish with artificial baits or minnows ( except the minnows may be used on both the Saginaw R. main stem and Kawkawlin R. main stem); natural baits may be fished only on a single-pointed hook with not more th 1/2" between point and shank; weights may not be attached rigidly to hooks; ho hook may be attached to the line between any weight and the rod except on an unweighted dropper line at least 3" long; no beads, spinners, or reflectors may be attached to the line within 6" of any hook.
    So, there are some restrictions!
    Now, as I started out, the burden of proof is with the DNR. If they are watching from a far, and believe you are targeting Walleye, Your're in deep Pooh, Pooh!
    We would have to go to smaller Hook and take our knot protecting beads off.
    Or Lets make real easy, Lets not go til 1 May and we won't have to have burden of proof at all!!!!!!!!!!! Ha! Ha! Ha!
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    dang.

Well, then we must wait.... patiently.... Ill bring some beer and a lawn chair and perhaps it wont feel as long and boring.

Heck- beer and a lawn chair isnt a bad plan- Ill have the same luck without rods on the saginaw as I did with rods last year! And no sticky messy hands!

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey,
    That sounds good! You know, It's really too darn cold to think about fishing.
    But the suckers will be up soon, the perch will be in too.
    Don, you mentioned perch fishing the first of April, lets talk some more!
    Sparky

7. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    I dont think I told you, but...

I have bottled my first batch of homebrew cream ale right in time for the sucker run/early cat season. Ill give it a try on friday- if next week you see my picture with a catfish, sunglasses, and a red-tipped stick, then you will know my beermaking skills match my fishing skills. LOL

Ill letcha know- we may have the seedling of "Sal's Cat-slime-Ale" microbrew, if it turns out as good as it was starting to taste before bottling.

If it turns out right, then when I pass by your place next Ill have a cookout waiting to happen- brats and beer, all ready for you to offically taste test!

I really do want to get with you in the next month- I need to spend an afternoon with you learning how you can them suckers up and time is coming SOON to go get em.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Sal,
    I can't say as I have ever had any home made beer. But, if your buying, your always welcome.
    Sparky