bait presentation?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catmandu62, Nov 19, 2007.

1. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Like most of us we desire skipjacks, but does the way you present it drastically affect the amount of bites. For instance filets, heads, torso etc... of shad,mooneye,asian carp or skipjack?:0a23:

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Depending on which bait I'm using will determine what part of the baitfish I'm gonna rig up. I like to use skipjack heads, but then again, the fish in my avatar was caught on a large skipjack fillet. If I'm using large shad, usually I will use the gut pockets. Sometimes I will also throw one of my heavy rods rigged carolina style with a 10 or 11/0 octopus hook, with a whole large shad or skipjack on with hopes to catch a large fish. Usually, though it just depends on the bite. Whether or not the fish are feeding aggressivly, or just playing with it, will usually determine how I rig and what size baits I use.:wink:

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You betcha it does. Presentation is important. Especially when the bite is slow. When the fish are aggressively feeding, I'm convinced you can toss anything out there and they will eat it. Its those times they are holding tight to cover and not actively feeding that I believe presentation is critical. Its those times I really like to use the filets from the sides of the skipjacks and change them out regularly. Like Gary said, Heads can be productive also. Its best to try two or three different cuts of the bait until you figure out what it is the kittys like. Then, you can go all out with the same bait on all your rods.

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good Post Gary. Spot on buddy.

5. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well Aaron this is what I usually do when I set up to fish. I take a medium (say about 6-7 inch shad, mooneye, skippy, etc.) start at the tail and fillet up towards the head stopping at around the gills. Hook the bait through th eyes and then bring that fillet up (folding it) and hook it up by the head as well. cut the tail off and then hook a stinger down towards the end. With my other pole I'll usually use just a head at first if thats not working I'll try a gut pocket, then a fillet and keep changing them out till I find what they are looking for. But, usually always keep the whole bait on the one pole. If it is working then I'll do it on both. I think the way I do it gives you a good representation of everything, your exposing the gut pocket putting a ton of scent in the water, using the head, as well as the presentation of a fillet, it stays 6-7 inches long which is big enough to get the attention of medium to larger fish, but still not to big for that 8-10lbs. fish to pick it up and run with it.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Mike that is a great way to fish with the shad. I love to use the method you described in the spring time right before the spawn when the fish are gorging themselves and shad are plentifull.

7. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Scale the skipjack and make a few fine cuts just across the skin to release the amino acids that are just under the skin. Cut off its tail just enough that it will bleed. Hook your main hook through the eyes and put a stinger in the gut section. Chunk that pole out.
    The next one, you want to cut off the head and gut pocket. Put them both on your hook and slice into its brain to release the brain aminos into the water. Chunk that pole out.
    Take the rest of that skipjack and filet it out all the way to tail. Cut into 4 long pieces and put two on a hook. Chunk out those two poles.
    Cut out the gut pocket and a filet and chunk that one out. Then do a head cutting into the brain and a filet.
    With 2 people in the boat, you are allowed 6 poles. Give them a variety of cuts until you figure out which one works the best then rig up that way.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    On the Mississippi River its only 2 poles per person, unless they are clearly labeled with your name and address. If they are labeled you can have as many rods as you want, not to exceed 50 hooks. A hook with another 'stinger' hook, is only considered one hook. :wink: The 3 rod limit applies to other sections of Missouri.

http://www.allthreads.com/docs/Catfishing-MORegsSummary.pdf

Fellow Missourian Mr T put this together to simplify the regs. As always, the Code in Missouri is the official source. Marty's document does a great job of explaining the regulations.

9. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All mine are labeled and even have the size of line and date it was changed on.

10. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    OK GANG HERES MY DUMB QUESTION OF THE WEEK.

WHAT IS A STINGER AND HOW DO YOU RIG IT?:eek:oooh:

11. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A stinger is a secondary hook that you tie on below your main hook.. Normally your first hook will hold the bait. The stinger is added for the pesky ones that will not hit the whole bait a once for the main hook to work. Depending upon the length of the bait, you can use one or two stingers. Some will hook one in the gut section and perhaps another one down in the tail.

12. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    THANKS VINCE IF YOU HAVE ONE HANDY CAN YOU POST A PIC OF HOW YOU TIE IT TO YOUR MAIN LINE. THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEAL. I'VE TO TRY THAT NEXT TIME OUT. I WANT TO GO OUT TODAY BUT MY BOSS JUST HIT ME WITH A STACK OF OVERNIGHTS.

13. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thats not a dumb question Willie. A stinger is a second hook that is attached to the first hook with a short leader. Some guys snell the first hook and leave a long tag line to tie the second hook on. I dont know how to snell a hook so when I tried it I just tied a second peice of line to the first hook and then the other end to the second one. I hope this helps, maybe someone will post a picture.

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Your too fast Vince.

15. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I actually snell the lower hook onto a piece of leader about 24 inches long then go up about 5-6 inches and snell my second hook as well. Figure out how much I want for a leader and then use a palomar knot to tie it to my swivel. As for tying a snell I tried a couple of times and couldn't do it either, but then watched a video with JW showing how he snells his hooks and seen it was much easier then I thought and been doing it ever since. I'll show you next time we fish Ryan it really is easy. If I had a digital camera I'd take a pic and post it for you, but I don't sorry.

16. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I dont go to the all the trouble to snell them, just palomar two hooks on the leader 3 or 4 inches apart.

17. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
  18. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yep Jerry, thats exactly how I do it!

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Thats it! I was tying along while following the directions and that is awsome. I cant believe it is that easy and I sure can't pull it loose. Thanks for the help that is a great learning tool! Reps to ya Jerry for that.

20. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

State:
    St. Louis
    im going to try it also on my next outing