Bait Presentation for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 27, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Do you want the bait (bluegill) to be hooked in head or tail? Which way are they going to snatch it? Thanks

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if fishing a lake or dead water i hook in the back just below the dorsal but above the backbone.if im fishing running water i hook them tru.the lips.i come up from the bttom lip and out tru.the nostrils.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree with Poisonpits - except that I always fish moving water, so I always hook them in the nose. I go in the mouth and out the top of the nose, though. I figure that way they can move their mouth to breath.

If you hook a bait anywhere in the back end in moving water, they eventually giet tired, get turned backwards, and drown.

4. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I do the same as these guys. Sometimes in current i'll hook them in the eyes instead of in the mouth or nostril.

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I pretty much fish only in a lake for flatheads and I hook them in the back just behind the dorsal fin and hook them as close to the lateral line as I can. I use J-hooks so you can have a little more meat in the bend of the hook b/c of the ability to really set the hook hard. Also, use really large bream and if it comes down to it just clip the tail with a pair of scissors to keep them from swimming off with your weight. Hope this helps a little. Oh and I typically use a fairly short leader with the live ones to keep them from swimming off and getting into something and getting me snagged.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in current i hookum in the forhead. in slack water i hookum just above the anal fin. bottom slip rig on both with a 10in leader and enogh weight to keep them put.

7. Polish Moose

Polish Moose New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This may be a regional thing because here in northern Illinois I have yet to meet a flatheader hooking a bait anywhere other than in the back. Obviously both ways work. I always go through the back figuring the bluegill won't cast off as easily.

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I mostly hook my baits in the back and very rarely thru the lips.

I seem to get more hookups this way but it might be my imagination.

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Recently i've been turned on to a 2 hook rig. it really seems to improve my hook up percentage. i tie one hook on and then another about 4-5 inches down from it. the first hook goes through the lips, and the other through the back or by the tail, depending on the size of the bait. This way i get the best of both worlds.