Bait Prep. Shad, Gills , chubs , skips , etc.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfisherman369, Sep 25, 2009.

What way do you prep. your cut bait ?

1. Scale and Fillet

2. Just cut into chunks

3. use the whole fish dead , or scored

4. only use the heads

5. other .

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Ok I am wondering how you prepare your cut bait , myself I like to scale it and fillet off a side . I have tried just using chunks but my catch rate is better and faster using a nice fillet . If you chose other , please explain so anyone reading can give it a try if they wish .

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For channels I like filets cut in strips, the heads too.
    For flatheads I either use heads or cut them in half, sometimes with cut trout I like to chunk it up.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I prepare my baits all kinds of ways...I usually fillet a big skip and use the head..Creek chubs I put on whole and cut the belly open.Bream I usually steak em..

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My favorite way is to use the head. I also use chunks and sides. Different ways at different times. I generally mix it up and wait for the fish to show their preference.

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have never had any luck with skip heads on my jugs so I just normally cut chunks and make sure that expose the hook.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I scale on side of a blue gill then cut the head off for one bait an then cut behind the tail right where the bottom hole is for the second bait then throw the tail in the lake.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I typically filet one side and cut that into chucks. Whats left, I steak cut (chunk) and use it with the bone still in. The only part of the fish that I don't use is the tail.

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    usually tear big shad in half and hook the head

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    if there big enough i just cot the head off and use it. if smaller i just cut under the gills to bleed it out and use the whole bait fish!!

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i cut the body in chunks but i also use the head so i guess i do two on the list.

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Carp, buff fish ect get scaled and filleted then chunked. Bigheads the same treatment but I use a welding wire brush to scale em smooth its fast and does a good job. Mooneye and skips get scaled then chunked whole. Shad just get slashed or cut in half.

12. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I do alot of drift fishing in the lakes around here so I have sscaled em filleted em used whole do it all till they start hitting then stick with that. I have been out in the mornings and seemed like they only hit on the gut pockets and then later that same day they want the head

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use the heads and chunks.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I choose other but really it depends on what I'm after and the water I'm fishing.

Big channel cats,I use a gill about 6 to 8 inches long and cut it(without scaling or anything else) from the top of it's head down at a angle so that the gut is just opened a little,about a 45 degree cut. hook the head end and toss it out,it's big enough to keep the small cats away and still small enough to easily be hit by anything over 5 lbs.

Smaller channel cats and in the swifter water I just cut into 3/4 to 1 inch wide steaks and use the head first then the steaks.

Flatheads get the freshest liveliest baits I have. I never seem to have much luck for them on dead bait,except one every now and then by accident,but the percentages lay with live bait.

Blues get the same as channels,we don't have much for blues and they are just an incidental catch to me.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  15. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Depending on the size bait I catch I mostly scale and fillet and use the head and throw the tails.on thread fins shad I just chunk'em up and bream I cut the tendloins out and chunk.

16. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
  17. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had to vote for them all. Because I will try the same bait prepared differently at the same time. Cats can sometimes be picky on how they want their meal. So i see what they are biting on and go from there. Good post.

18. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I usually use live until it dies then I will cut in half or just the head:wink:

19. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    I like the simplicity of fresh cut chunks

20. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I am using cutbait I cut it up in chunks!