Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
it all depends sometimes they love the eel sometimes they rather have shad. I usually throw out both to see which menu they want at the time. I never have had much luck using any store bought stuff except in a few ponds around the house. Lately eels have been doing the trick for me in the cape fear.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Your question depends upon what fish your targeting and where your fishing. If you want to get channel cats in a pond/lake chicken livers is the ticket. Eels will produce on the rivers either cut into chunks or live(whole). Cut shad is also working for the blues on the river. In my opinion Eels, shad, and brim are the best bait choices for big cats. I've never had luck with stinkbait. The bigger the bait (any type of fish) the bigger the catfish!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well man I am no expert by any stretch but I almost always use eel cut/live on the CFR I have had limited sucsess catching shad around lock#2. When fishing with eel I very rarely go home with out having caught at least one decent fish.

I also have recently started having good luck with live/cut bream on the river.

I am with Pete as far as the stink bait goes, the only store bought stink bait that has ever produced jack is the Gulp! But it didn't bring me any fish larger than a couple pounds.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried ZOTE soap yesterday in a pond, and bream fished with 3 other rods. The first bite was on the soap, but I didnt catch it. Didnt get another bite on the soap.

That ZOTE, I would recommend just on ability to get on a hook and stay, easy to work with. It would probably do an excellent job on a trotline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone ever heard of putting WD40 on chicken liver to catch channels. Besides from it not being a good thing to put in the water I have always heard lubricants, bugsprays and things of that nature repel fish.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Cutbait.

Whatever is available in the water where you are fishing is what I would recommend. Freshly cut bait from any fish that swims in the lake, imo, is better than the best most prepared frozen or manufactured bait. Some fish are better than others, but I would use every last ounce of freshly-dead cutbat I had before I went to store bought or frozen fish. When I first get to a spot I normally start with a few frozen baits that I took home at the end of the previous trip, but when I get a chance to switch to fresh, I change all the lines.

Invest in a large cast net (6' radial foot minimum) and learn how to throw it by watching youtube videos and backyard practice. It was the first thing I did when I started catfishing, and it definitely has made the most impact for me. Soak a new net in fabric softener and inspect the brail lines, and retie and glue them if necessary. Gorilla glue seems to be working well for me.

Hang in there man. You are in good hands on this site.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Has anyone ever heard of putting WD40 on chicken liver to catch channels. Besides from it not being a good thing to put in the water I have always heard lubricants, bugsprays and things of that nature repel fish.
I have never done it to catch cats, but when I was growing up my dad and uncles used to WD-40 our marshmallow and worm baits when fishing for trout. I never really bought the concept, and I stopped doing it when I started fishing alone. What I do know is that I have a bunch of pictures somewhere of us holding huge stringers of trout caught with the aid of WD-40. I remember one time in particular when we caught over 50 trout in a half day from shore with our hands stinking from handling the WD-40. We might have still caught those fish without it, and who knows, we might have even caught more, but we did catch em.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm no expert either, and I have not had the money to try this method however, a lot of people in Rowan County are catching on shrimp. (raw and thawed) Can't wait to try it out myself. I caught a decent one (Ok so my largest was about 3ft.) and I did it on a night crawler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.