Bait Pond

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by whiteriver, Sep 5, 2009.

1. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Two years ago I had a small pond built on the back side of my farm to raise bait in. In March of 08 I stocked it with 4" and smaller gold fish. Yesterday I went back and fed them just before dark and was I ever surprised. It was alive with fish. Big fish, med. fish and hundreds of small gold fish were every where. I was feeding them about twice a week and earlier in the day when the sun was high and did not see that many feeding while I was there. The Harbor Master and I had taken our three year old grandson to the big pond to catch some bluegill and wanted to show him the gold fish so we fed them just before sunset and it was just amazing to see all the fish. It looked like rain falling with all of them chasing bits of dog food around the pond. The thing that got me the most was all the fry that was hatched in there last year. They are about an inch long and every where. I hate to say this but I am going to have to take some of the bigger ones fishing this fall. Does any body know if you can catch them in a cast net? If you have any questions about putting in a small pond and raising your own bait, I would say "Go for it!" It sure worked for me.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Earl congrats on the bait pond success. It don't get much better than that. Gives one more time to fish and less time hunting bait.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats pretty cool. Wish I had a personal bait pond. Congrats for it turning out so well

4. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    I have a pond full also.Yes you can catch them with a cast net but small ones will get caught in mesh. A umbrella net works better.

5. Riff Raffington

Riff Raffington New Member

State:
    minnesota
    id just seine then into a corner and pick through them. Or you could fish for them. . .

6. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks Tbird; I just ordered one from Memphis Net and Twine.

7. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    Good deal, it is low impact on fish and the pond. You don't need the real big ones to catch fish I got a 22# blue last week on a goldy that would not have made 3 inchs. I think they eat them to get the nasty shad taste out of their mouth.

8. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I've caught them out of a pond useing a realy small hook and a night crawler. I tried a throw net but those gold fish are realy fast. Just free line the night crawler u'll catch the big one's.

9. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I had the same problem with throwing a net, but if you saw me throw one you might understand, right getter? I did catch a couple on hook but was wanting to go into high production and hook and line would be awful slow for me.
    :tounge_out:
    tbird, I would agree on the canned goods and ammo. LOL!:smile2:
    How do you rig the umbrella to catch bait, never seen one first hand let alone used one.

10. tbird

tbird Member

State:
    IN
    cut a pole and tie it on the end with maybe 4 ft of rope.I usually just grab a slice or 2 of bread get it wet and make a ball so it sinks.put that in your net lower it 2-3 feet throw some floating food over it.In a few minutes start to raise it slow then fast near surface. You may want to rig a pole for a fulcrum or stake the butt end down and lift further up. You even can get fancy and make a little crane deal.
    Good luck, catching bait is fun too.

11. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I sure appreciate your help on this, now I can't wait for the net to get here. I will have to go cut some poles and get everything ready. Thanks again Tbird.

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i always used a flat rock in the center wet it and put a little flour on it then drop it inthe weight of the rock will make ur net hang lower and ur bait cant jump out as easy makes it hang like a dip net when u pick it up

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how big of a pond did you dig?

14. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    wheres this pond at?? i should probably come down and make sure its within all the regulatios of a farm pond, and not overstocked with bait.. if it is, id have to take some out of there, just so you dont get fined!

LOL dont worry, if you couldnt tell, im kidding. there are no regs on farm ponds. unless you believe me!:wink:

15. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Thanks for the tip Keith, I will use it. Earl :big_smile:

Ron; I will bet you a dollar your daughter will remember that Flathead in you Avatar forever. I can still remember the first wild goose I saw. It's wing spread was wider than my Dad was tall. :tounge_out:

Kyle; It is just behind that big Oak tree you can see from the road. Earl :wink:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009