Bait on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ilemons, Feb 24, 2007.

1. ilemons

ilemons New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish on the Mississippi river in the Southeast Missouri area. Can you tell me the best way to locate baitfish. I will be using a cast net from a boat. I would be thankful for any help.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are all sorts of ways and spots but probably one of the easiest if you have "docked" barges in the area is to pull up on the downriver side of the barge and cast your net as close as possible to the stern of the barge.

If you don't have barges look for other types of structure (wing-dams, bridge piles...) and work the slow side of the current break. Some will be better than others. Work a bunch and you will come up with a few favorites.

3. ilemons

ilemons New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thankyou for your help.

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I fished the Mississippi on Thursday and Friday. Found shad in the shallow murky waters of creeks and inlets usually in about 3 feet of water. Another bet is, if you have a power plant or something near by, Look for a warm water discharge.

5. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just a side note but always remember when using a cast net in a boat that if you have it tied to your arm and it gets snagged you are going to get wet.

6. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Ivan,

My "shad hole" is at the mouth of a small ditch that comes into the main river. Oftentimes I will also get them in a side channel provided there isn't any current running through it.

The small ditch has warmer water temps and that attracts them to it also. On Friday the ditch was 53 degrees, while the main river was 37. With this increase of water temp, they were very shallow (2ft) and big too! Also caught a 35 lb common carp in my net :eek:oooh: