Bait of choice

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by OHFishmanB, Aug 14, 2006.

1. OHFishmanB

OHFishmanB New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    What is everyone's bait of choice in the Ohio River for big flatheads? I have had great luck in lakes around my area on huge warmouth bluegill, but can't seem to catch the flathead on them in the river. I usually use them between 8-11 inches.

2. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I have good luck with bluegill for flats and cut shad for blues.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use bluegills and goldfish for flats and cut shad for channels although I caught a small blue last sat night on a 6" goldfish drifting in the Ohio river.

4. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    hey man i have yet to fish the ohio river but i hear a lot of guys useing skipjack. and a lot of cut bait. i would say live bait is the best. good luck in the future dude.

5. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    cut shad for channels and live creek chubs for flatties

6. M.Magis

M.Magis Member

State:
    SE Ohio
    Bait doesn't matter if your not fishing where they're at. If a flathead comes across a warmouth, it will eat it as soon as anything else. Changing baits isn't going to help, but changing locations may.

7. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    I caught 2 flatties the other night on the river on cut shad. They both probably had a combined weight of 7 or 8 pounds (lol). I considered that to be unusual. I have been doing well on shad for the blues and channel and bluegill heads for flatties. I havent been using them but I think the good ol night crawler is making a return. I have been hearing of a lot of good fish being taken on the worm. Good luck!