Bait Making

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by shipchef, Jul 19, 2006.

1. shipchef

shipchef New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm new to this site--lots to read!!! I'm a chef with a world missions organization based near Tyler. Fish a lot on Lake Palestine. In addition to cooking for people, I like trying new "recipes" for catfish bait. I see a lot about "rotten cheese." Where do you get it? How do you get it? Do you just get cheese and set it in the sun? My best so far was using the same stuff you'd use to make a Caesar Salad dressing--cheese, anchovies, garlic, then made it into a dough. I'm going on vacation in October and would like to try some new stuff. Any other advice on using cheese??
    thanks!!
    sc

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

the library has a lot of ideas as for what type of cheese I would recomend the following: sharp/mild cheddar, velvetta and blue. melt in the sun are microwave add you other ingredients and mix well set in the sun are heat covered and wait. check thickness to thick add veg. oil to thin add cat tails, cotton, corn meal and so on. Good luck.

3. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    I tried something that seems to work. I tried it with Ivory soap first but had bad texture. I used that Zote soft and it worked better. I melted the soap and mixed it with blended shad, old lady loved that one. I used her blender.
    It caught fish. I also blended one with catalpa worms another one with bream. They all caught fish. With the Shad and Bream blend I could not add to much to the soap, it did not want to set up very well, to much liquid. The best workable texture was the Catalpa mixture.
    Joseph

4. shipchef

shipchef New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ha!! Bet she did love you using her blender for bait blending!!!! Last year I made up a batch of anise-scented lye soap. I soured some grain in the back yard and after a couple of weeks added blood meal to it. When I found dead flies floating on it, I figured it was done. I used my industrial food processor (I'm a chef) to blend the grain. It was so bad I had to turn my vent hood on so people in the dining room wouldn't think I was trying to kill them!! Used a box grater to shred the soap and added the grain mash to it. Man, it was bad, but it caught fish!! All in the name of fish catching, right??
    blt

5. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    the bait you guys are talking about, is it like a dough bait?? If so how would you use it in an area with a strong current??

I have a meriad of canals that run all around where I live, so I tyipcally just take the casting net out and fill me a bucket and let them sit in the sun for a few days and chum, but I haven't had any success. My biggest problem is transporting the stinky stuff. Last time I duck taped the lid closed and put it inside a garbage bag and then inside another garbage bag. About 5 minutes of driving the smell hit us and I thought my wife was going to kill me!!!!

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was refering to cheese bait but dough bait can be made also. As for chum the easiest is cracked corn are chicken sctatch put in a five gallon bucket with lid cover with water add two packets of yeast are two beers put the lid on place it in the sun for about a week and your ready. burp the bucket once a day you will know when its ready. As for swift current take another bucket and drill a bunch of small holes in it fill it up with your chum put the lid on tie a rope to it and place it in the water,