Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Name is JD. New to the forum. I'm legally blind. Disabled. Father of 5. Looking for dip bait recipes and dough bait recipes for bait that won't expire. Ones that the bait can be left in an old shed away from the house for months at a time. So my wife don't kill me. Is like some recipes to play with. 25 years work 6-7 days a week 60-80 hours and jyst boom. No more working allowed. Now I'm stuck at home in my room all day every day. I need stuff to do. Fishing is my passion. I'd love to catch fish on some bait made with my boys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Welcome from Horn Lake, MS
Jerry Trew from Little Rock, AR made baits back in the day. I don't think he published any recipes on here. Don't know if he passed them down to his grandkids.
We talked about his baits at a gathering. If left in a container on a shelf they are good for maybe a month. If stored in a fridge they are good for maybe 6 months. If stored in a freezer they separate when thawed.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Welcome to the USCA, glad to have you join in. I have no experience with homemade dips, when I do use dip, I use Sonnys. My grandpa supposedly had some super-secret dough bait recipe for Carp, we made up a batch in the basement, aggravating grandma with the odor was all we accomplished as the dough balls didn't produce any fish. Good Luck and let us know if you come up with a recipe that works good for you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Have some sonnys in my garage that’s at least 3 years old and works fine yet. Just use bluegill mostly that’s why I’ve had it so long, the texture is even fine. I thought I’d have to add vegetable oil to it but when used it last it stuck to dip rig great

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,817 Posts
Do not know if it would work for cats, this is a corn meal based thing.

Cook up corn meal like a mush.
Add some vanilla extract.
Maybe some jello. Strawberry, cherry, etc.
Then add flour, whole wheat if available, till very hard to stay on hook.
If bait gets to hard from setting in sun kneed in some water.

Used this to catch carp that we would then take to river. Cut up carp to catch cats.

Did this 55 years ago.

A few years back was trying to catch some carp for bait. Was useing canned corn. Ended up all I was catching was some eater size channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts