Bait life

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ZIMMERMAN, Dec 25, 2007.

1. ZIMMERMAN

ZIMMERMAN New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Would like to know if there is a certain step or steps to any bait like certain base ingredients you should start with and then add your scents,flavor ect. And is there anything a person needs to add to be able to sell I mean like on shad bait isn't there something to add to the bait to make it last longer on the shelf you know what I mean or for any other type of bait for catfish.
    :eek:oooh:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    This has been discussed a lot on the board, and most of us agree that shad just can't be saved so that it's competitive with fresh caught shad. While a few people seem to have decent results on frozen shad, most of us have had the problems of the shad turning red & mushy, and getting no bites. Salting it down will preserve the shad, but you end up with a completely different bait. Using something like formaldehyde (sp?) to preserve shad may preserve their looks, but the taste is going to be completely different, and I don't know of anyone who has had good luck using store-bought preserved shad.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We always try to use fresh baits . Allowing extra time to catch the baits before we go fishing. If their not available... I take along some fresh livers. Works good for me.

4. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Welcome again to the BOC. This is a great site to find everything you need to know about catfishing. I guess the only thing that works is to use fresh bait. Adding other things to preserve them dont work. Fresher the better.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I didn't mean to say that no types of bait can be successfully frozen. The question was specifically about shad, so that's what I was talking about. Oily bait fish, such as skipjack, can be frozen very successfully. While I certainly won't turn down a chance to get fresh skipjack all through the year, I normally stock up a year's supply around the end of April or early May. Again, I certainly wouldn't turn down some fresh caught shad, but when that's not available (usually), I use frozen skipjack. And generally catch a lot of fish with it.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When you start adding perservatives to shad like salt and what not, your not going to end up with good bait. Although a food saver would help like the vacuum sealer type, I need to invest in one some day. Fresh shad is the best and freezing them without a vacuum sealer doesn't give you good results. But skipjack seems to be very potent fresh and frozen.

7. brakeless1

brakeless1 New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ky.
    They say freeze then vacum seal and when you go fishing with them prick the bag to release vacum before they thaw. Something about sucking blood to surface or out of fish and not supossed to be as good.:wink:

Hope this help's

God bles Brother's and Sister's, Mike B./Brakeless1

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't know of any type of preservative that you can add, but the shad can mostly go with your typical vacuum seal to keep it fresh. I have heard that adding a small amount of water will provide you with a nice marinade for the bait to soak in during the thawing process. I make sure that the bait is entirely thawed prior to use or else it will not leach the oils into the water as effectively.

9. fishin4cat

fishin4cat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    weve had good luck vaccum sealing them. turns out alot better then freezin them in water!

10. catfishcrazyjr

catfishcrazyjr New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    do u mean in like a punch bait or a dip bait so it dont rot?