Bait Length Limits in Missouri

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You may recall that we had a discussion over in the "Missouri Lakes" section about whether or not it was legal to use as bait, bluegill, green sunfish or bullheads that are longer than 5", provided that you catch them by pole and line.

I sent a question to the Missouri Dept of Conservation, pointing out the conflicting rules in the two sections that deal with the use of fish for bait 3CSR10-6.550 and 3CSR10-6.605) and today I got a response from the Chief at the MDC Protection division:

(The emphasis below is mine)

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, we have the answer from the horse's mouth.

Now all we have to do is convince the wardens. :lol:

Thanks for doing the footwork.

3. Greg32

Greg32 New Member

State:
    Northeast Kansas
    Them Missouri game wardens can be funny... While fishing the missouri river I was stopped by a missouri warden, I have a valid kansas permit which is valid on the Missouri River, and he asked to see my permits etc... I showed him my kansas permits and he darn near wrote me up. I asked him why I was being written up and he stated not having a valid permit from missouri..Lets not forget it was the FREE FISHING WEEKEND! Its a good thing I carry the rules & regs for both states in my boat. After showing him I was legal he then went into a boat inspection. He was just trying to find something he could write me up about. Boat was in perfect shape and had everything, even boater education cards from both MO & KS (even though I don't need 'em) and an Vessel safety check from the US coast guard. I believe he was pissed that I proved him wrong in a polite kind of way.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sound to me like we all need to start carrying a copy of that letter along with us when were on the water fishing or on the bank.Don''t know if it would do any good except the satifaction of having it.

5. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't know Yamnitz was still down there. Worked with him many years ago on some things. He'll back up what he says. Mr. T, thanks for doing the "paperwork."

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thanks for taking the time to find out for us

7. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the clarification. I have called the MO Dept of Conservation a few times with questions and they have been pretty helpful. I guess the main thing is that if you happen to catch any of those large baitfish in a net or trap you cannot use them for bait.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Some times you run into one that is having a bad day, other times you run into the ones that are having a bad life. Mostly though there not to bad , they have a mostly thankless job.

9. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Thanks for doing the job of finding out about that since I like using big bluegills. I think I will copy that letter and keep it in my boat just in case.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    No arguments from me, Wolfie - I replied to Mr. Yamnitz and pointed out that "pole and line" are in both of the sections I had questions about, but have yet to receive his response.

In any case, I'll take the opinion of the head guy over that of an average field agent. Even though I doubt it would stop an agent from writing me up.

We're only talking about pole and line methods for bluegill over 5 inches - the regulations are pretty clear that the other methods (thrownet, etc.) do not allow you to keep bluegill, etc. over 5 inches.

That's the safest route for sure.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Marty, Thanks for follow up on that and for posting the response.

"There is a parenthetical reference in 6.605 that explains this"

I couldn't find what he meant, but bottom line, the regs say 2 different things in different places. I would think that between the mixed up regs and the email from Mr Yamnitz, a person could mount a successful defense. The question remains whether it's worth the potential hassle.

My take... I'll print out the email and then take my chances. I'll show it to any agent that questions my bait. If I still get a ticket, I'll fight it.

Of course all of this hinges on me actually catching some 5" bluegill, lol. Lately I have nothing to worry about.