Bait Lake Monticello

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jimbow3, Jun 28, 2007.

1. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    What is a good bait for catching blues on lake monty I'm fishing off the banks not lucky enough to have a boat

2. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Big gizzards, white perch, and bream heads are my favorite even though i have trouble getting the gizzard shad. I sometimes take blueback herring but it is a small fish magnet.

3. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the answer to that depends on what size fish you are targeting...small fish will hit just about anything and i mean anything...worms, stink bait, livers, i have even caught fish on fried chicken skin (original recipe):smile2:...if you are looking for big fish then use big baits that are fresh...white perch, bream, gizzards are top knotch.

4. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    How do you fishing the whole perch or bream under a cork or just on the bottom? Thanks for any advice.

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    usually i like the bream heads but any way u use them will work. Most ofthe time I bottom fish But the last trip i used some slip corks and caught several fish 3-8 lbs range 24-35 ft deep was the magic depth for the suspended cats.

6. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    Been catching smaller ones on stink bait but would like and try to catch some big ones

7. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Beaufort.. Do you have any luck catching any shad in Monticello with the gold hook setups (Sabikis )..? Maybe right after dark turn some lights on to draw them in and try the Sabikis.. I don't think you can use any kind of cast net on the lake can you...? Thanks.

8. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Jimbow.. We're heading down there Saturday to fish most of the night... Taking some shrimp - stinkbait ( styrofoam ) - bream - bluebacks.. Some of time the stink bait catches the smaller ones but I know some guys that swear by it at Santee and they aren't catching the smallers ones..

Maybe we can run across some big ones Saturday - they might be suspended though. I'd like to catch a mess of 5 to 10 lbs 'ers.. Good luck to ya...

9. jimbow3

jimbow3 New Member

State:
    NC
    Goodluck Saturday hope you catch a mess of em,I've seen people using cast nets on the far side of the lake,I can't go this weekend too many honey dos to do maybe next weekend

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Your not suppossed to use a castnet at Monticello but some people do anyway.I would not recomend that though.As far as the shad on Sabika rigs I dont think they will hit them.I've heard of a few rare occurances where a big gizzard shad would hit a small lure but not often enough to get enough for bait.Its pretty hard to beat white perch this time of year at Monticello.Fish with small peices of worms on the bottom and you will catch white perch and baby catfish pretty quick.The humps that top out around 15 to 25 foot usually hold perch and baby cats.

11. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    You can catch plenty small white perch on a Sakibi Rig.

12. Zellcat1

Zellcat1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Riverrat - Chris...... Thanks for the information on the white perch.

Are you fishing the perch heads right on the bottom or is it better to float them off the bottom with a cork trailing behind a sinker bumping the bottom...? Sorry about all the questions but this is the first time to Monticello fishing for catfish..trying to figure things out alittle before we get there.

You wouldn't think the lake had that much depth to it.....some places up and down to maybe 90'..? Are the catfish working up shallow at night and deep in the day... I was told to fish the humps but you said ( Chris ) the baby cats and perch hang around there...are the bigger fish working deeper...?

I appreciate the help.....just trying to get some bearings to start from.... I'll let you know how we do tomorrow.

13. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Both bottom and under a pole float. I use whole perch when possible and cut in half when they are to large.

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brandon I wont get to go sat night cause I have nobody to go with me so I am leaving out about 2 a.m. sat morning and fishing sat hopefully before it starts storming to bad. let you know how i do.

15. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    scratch that last post just saw the forecast for tom. I think I will sit this weekend out.