Bait is it a myth

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Quackheadjh, May 16, 2008.

1. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Once again fellas I cant find the shad, Went out last night and threw a net for a couple of hours and cant find them in my normal spots. Any info would be great me and a friend will be putting in at 130 am on sunday morning and need bait in a bad way

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Dumb question coming your way. What body of water are you trying to get shad at. Missouri river, Mississippi river. Truman, LOZ?

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Shoot I went below truman dam tonight and had half a cooler full of shad in no time.

4. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    smithville lake, We caught a few sunday morning early but its still tough

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I camped with my son's scout troop at Smithville last weekend. Didn't have any problems finding shad within 5 ft of the shore. We didn't catch anything to brag about (a few small channel cats and several 10+ lb drum, exciting for the boys but otherwise worthless).

Don't allow yourself to get in a rut where you expect the shad to be in the same place all the time - even if you find them there repeatedly over a given time period. They're just like all other fish and move around; when you do find them, pay attention to when and where they were and eventually you might start to see some patterns to their movements. This time of the year with the water temps in the low 60's, they're pretty likely up on the banks spawning.

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ahh smithville best time to go is at night after they close so you don't have to pay to use the ramp. Next go to a cove. Sailboat cove is a nice one take a spot light shine around and you will find shad.. At least thats what I do in the summer. May should be no different.

7. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Brad you were at Truman Sat. night, and you didnt stop by the Gathering?:sad2:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Brad was there friday getting bait for our tournament on sat. night. haha man he was down there with one thing on his mind. Bait to win some money. No gathering is worth that kind of interference.

9. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks alot for that info I went out last night and looked with the sonar alot and caught alot of shad in a place were I didnt think they would be, they were in the river channel east of the 240th street boat ramp suspended in 14 feet of water

10. Quackheadjh

Quackheadjh New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Around any boat dock right now and you can catch a cooler full fast, thanks for all help guys