bait in the wintertime

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Big Ben, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    Anyone have some info on spots to look for bait on the mississippi I fish around Festus area have never went out during the winter want to this year any help would be greatly appreciated

2. BIGCAT GarryEads

BIGCAT GarryEads Head Cheese of the USCA!

State:
    Francisco Ind
    BIG BEN Welcome to the B O C.

BIG CAT GarryEads :)

3. Big Ben

Big Ben New Member

State:
    De Soto MO
    :) Thank you big cat I have already found alot of good info and look forward to both learning and sharing more about catfishing

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome aboard Big Ben. I live in DeSoto also and fish the Miss ALOT. I havnt been out much in the past couple months due to Deer Season, but hope to get out again soon. You should be able to find the Shad down deep in 15 foot of water or so. I've been scaling my bait sizes down for the winter time as the fish arnt near as agressive like in the Summer. If I'm not having any luck with the Shad I have a rather unorthodox method of catching the Big Eye Asian Carps that jump behind the rock dykes. I can usually draw some good fish on cut pieces of these carp. Lots of good advice on this site and most will freely offer good information. Good Luck to ya and welcome to the BOC.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    As for catching bait, concentrate your efforts behind the rock walls. I use my trolling motor and slowly work the entire bank around these coves. Ive found with the cooler water, the fish seem to be quite a bit deeper in say, 15 foot of water or so. I use a 5 foot bait net and let it go all the way to the bottom. Summer time its super easy to find shad, however youll have to work a little bit to find them right now. If you know of some warm water discharge areas you should be able to find them schooled up, along with the fish. Trial and error my friend. The more you fish, the easier it gets to find them as you stay on top of their patterns. I hope I've helped. Their are alot of other members from this area on here that have tons of experience also. I had a BANNER summer, and really caught some hogs. I havnt been much lately, so I'm not quite sure whats going on out there. Check with Kutter and others. They may have been out. Good Luck.