Bait in North Carolina?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bearsfan, Mar 15, 2007.

1. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    What up everyone? I believe this is the year I am going to pull a monster out of the cape fear and would extremely appreciated any advice. I wish I knew more to help ya'll out. I did well with cut up bluegills last season, especially the head portion. I caught a mess of them and froze them whole. When I used the frozen gills they didn't seem as effective as fresh bait. Does anyone freeze bait and find that it is not as effective? I have been catching some nice crappies and wanted to also try using the remaining head for bait. Has anyone used crappie heads for bait? I have limited time on line and did not search past threads so please forgive if this topic has been covered. Thanks to all

2. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    On the fear i have found that cut eel in deep holes, and alive small bluegill work really good. I havn't had much luck with cut baits other than a gar or two. The other thing that I know is that large minnows work really good on a float about 6-8 foot deep. Alot of people use shad, but i can never find any. That is the bait of choice for most. I know cut eel works thats what i caugh the monster on my avatar on. Oh yeah and fried chicken liver and gizzards work really good for the channels.

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I freeze my gill in water hoping that will deter freezer burn and check your local rules on using Crappie !!!!! Here in the state of Ky. it is illegal to use Crappie. Good luck !!!!

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Welcome to the board also !!!:big_smile:

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Showin that little belly makes me want to get ahold of that lil one and cover it(his belly)with sweet baby kisses! He is a darling! I hope I'm correct by saying He!!:confused2: :big_smile: :sweet_kiss: :sweet_kiss: :sweet_kiss:

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    In NC you can use whatever bait you want as long as you catch it on rod and reel, as far as game fish go. If they catch you netting either bream or crappie then thats when they will give you a ticket. Dont get caught with ANY herring this year, I was already pulled over and had my boat truck and livewell searched.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    jay from what i understand if you use crappie on these lakes like the yadkin chain where a size limit has been place you have to have proof for the warden to see that fish was over the size limit even if it was caught with a rod and reel. example would be a 8" crappie with its head cut off will get you a ticket because the crappie must be 8"s long for the warden to see. i heard the best thing to use is the fillets and keep the rest for proof on a 8" fish which is the size limit. if hes over 8" dont make him no shorter. anyway i heard the heads are good bait but you need proof it came off a 8" fish to use it. if you catch the crappie out of a pond and use it at the yankin lakes well i think you will have to explain that one to the judge because the game warden stopped listening and started writing.:lol:

8. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    That is a great point about the size of crappies being a factor. I will probably not bother using them. I have a surplus of little gills in a friends pond. BillyP, I will definitely use eels this summer. I found a local bait shop that sells them. The only problem is they cost a bit and if I get to fish as much as I want that could get pricey. I appreciate all posts thanks.

9. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    I've used frozen shad early in the year and it seems to be ok, not as good as fresh though.

10. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I have talked to alot of people who put out eel pots in the fear so you might be able to get eels cheaper that way or just buy them directly from a eel farm.

11. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    i have seen a site about an eel farm in NC and i was wondering if there were any close to the SC border i need some for a tourny next week

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeremy one thing you can do to significantly increase your catch is get an InDY COLTS hat!!!!!!!!!!!:big_smile: You can figure the Lord will owe you one for the Superbowl and might pay off with a big one. The is a catfish club in Fayetteville ,Longwhiskers Catfish Club full of guys that know that river like the back of their hands. PM me for the information:big_smile:

13. bearsfan

bearsfan New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I was just commenting to my wife how nice everyone seemed on this forum. Then I hop online and see your comments Jim. My superbowl wound had just healed and you ripped it open. Thats cold hearted brother. You mentioned the Lord and thanks to him I will forgive you this time. Besides, it is baseball season and my Cubs are sure to win it all.