bait in DG area?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by screamnreels, Sep 22, 2009.

1. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    We will be making the trip to DG wednesday and would like to know what the bait situation is in that area right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Not sure about the DG area but we have not had any problems catching good size cutters in the gill net. I fish up river of DG but someone will chime in.
    Will you be fishing from a boat or from the bank? Using cast net or gill net?
    Good luck.

3. slammer123

slammer123 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Hey Blue cat,
    Where do you get the gill nets at and how do you use yours? Ive been throwing a cast net but would like to try the gill net out. I know you need a license but who has the nets for sale?

Theres spot near Deep bottom called the skinny dip hole on the map, throw your cast net in the deep water between the poles on an outgoing tide and you can usually get some big cutters!!

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    CastAway's is a block past the turn for Dutch Gap off of Jefferson Davis

5. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Chris how did your trip go? I havent been fishing lately in Va due to being on vacation in Texas for the past 2 weeks. I will be on vacation until the 3rd of October. I hear its cooling down so the James and Appomattox should be getting hot

6. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    Ramon, The trip was long and tiresome 3 in the morning to 11:30 last night getting home. With two soakings of the net we had enough bait for the day and we were off, fished several holes that are normally productive (for us anyway) with little to no luck, also fished some new water with little luck. We did manage four flatheads from 6 to 16 lbs, three blues in the teens, not exactly what we were looking for but all in all a beautiful day on the water. All the fish were caught on cut crappie and shad from 7 feet to 20 feet of water.

7. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have a friend from VA Beach coming through today. We were bestest buddies, fishing , hunting, drinking, and goofing around in the 70's. I haven't seen him in 20 years. We talk from time to time and he asked me to take him catfishing since he has to come over to teach a class tomorrow. I hope I can put him on a good fish. I am meeting him at Deep Bottom at 10:00.

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    You make sure you have all that funk gone before stepping on my boat Chris.

9. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Good luck...I hope you stick a toad! I love putting people on fish and seeing their reaction when they hook on to a submarine. Priceless!

10. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county

I love to see their face when they pull back on the rod and the fish doesn't move. (Priceless)

11. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    The not being able to get the rod out of the rod holder face has got to be the best! lol