bait in and around wichita

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by kansas_catman_16, Jun 22, 2009.

1. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    hey does anyone have a place they dont mind sharin for me to go get me some bait. shad or perch doesnt matter :roll_eyes:

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Usually the smaller the pond the better for gills. I haven't tried any of the kdot ponds for gills, but I know they are in there. There's shad in that pond too. When I used to fish out there more regularly I would take my small net and catch a few shad to use out there. But one of the few times I saw a conservation officer out there I asked him if it was okay to do so out there and he said no. But he had to radio into his partner to ask so its probably one of those gray rules. Still I haven't used one out there since. What part of Wichita are you at? There's an abundance of of bluegill in Kansas you just have to find the best ponds for them. Some will be much better than others. I've noticed that the smaller ones are a little better though.

3. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas

i live on the north side by oliver and central

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    I CATCH PERCH OUT OF THE KDOT PONDS, AND WATSON PARK HAS PLENTY OF PERCH. RWG

5. meko316

meko316 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    you can go to any creek nearby and catch perch all day on a piece of worm. Where do you do most of your Catfishing at?

6. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Go to andover and and fish in the subdivison right across from the andover central highschool. I lived there for 5 yrs and just moved to kc. My avatar pic was taken there. There are two ponds, one of them only has houses on one side, on the other one you can just park on the dam and fish there. Both ponds are full of bream, bass, crappie, and channels. Its a good place to load up with bream before a trip to eldorado.

7. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas

Shhhh.... there's no fish in there no more. Actually thats where I get my bait fish, mostly cause its closest to home. Actually I go to the pond east of andover central high school, but its been slow lately.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    ALL of the city ponds have a bunch of perch in them. Some are just better than others.
    Look for one that has rock all the way around the perimeter of the pond. They will be full of greenies, the best "perch".
    I forget the name of the creek, but its over by you. Harry and Oliver I think. My cousin used to get his perch there.
    Work your way around the pond and you will get some. I never understood why people sit in one spot perch jerkin. You are there to get bait.
    Hurry up and get it and go fishin.:smile2::wink:

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle is it called Gypsum Creek? Thats what I used to hear it called. It gets a little bigger the further you go south. Theres also carp in there, good for bait.

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That sounds right. It also runs right by JoyLand.

11. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    There's a creek that I drive by on the turnpike every day to work and I wonder about it every time. Wonder if there's any creek chubs or anything good in there for bait. It reminds me of the creek that runs behind Kevin's (Tmrmrod or something) house that he gets creek chubs out of. This is close to the turnpike and it crosses harry st. just west of the turnpike and runs along it and crosses pawnee and there's a walking path all along it. Anybody ever try this one out or even know what I'm talking about? Everytime I drive by I think, "I should put my trap out there sometime just to see."

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I know exactly where your talking about. I think the same thing every time I go by there. Its just far enough from home, its out of sight out of mind.:confused2:

13. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thats the one, Ive been trying to picture how far south it goes in my mind. Then I got to thinking if theres carp and perch in there that I know of, maybe it runs into the Arkansas. Joyland isnt really that far away, but I cant picture it after there. The widest part ive seen is between Pawnee and George Washington, on Oliver. Anyways I might google earth it jus to see. If theres anything interesting, ill be back.:eek:oooh:

14. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Theres two or three creeks in town and they all tie together and run to the Arkansas. It got a little grainy when I got close to the Arkansas but it spills in around I235 and SE Blvd. I dont know if anyone cares but my wandering mind had to figure it out, lol. If anyone wants to look at it start backwards from the river and follow it on google earth.

15. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yeah thats the one. Sounds like a lot of creek to scout out... maybe we should break it up in thirds and report back:smile2:. Some day I'll have to try it out, maybe take the seine net or something with a buddy... but I agree its just far enough that its out of sight out of mind. Only think about it when I drive by it to work. I think I've seen people out there with fishing poles though, so there's probably something in it.