Bait Ideas

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by myname6, Apr 10, 2008.

1. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    I usally dont have time to catch fresh bait I have 3 young kids and a full time job so my fishing time is pretty short any ideas I have tried that shad in the bag but not much luck

2. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib:big_smile:

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC. How old are your kids. Get them somewhere they can catch some bluegills for you. Fish with them whole or cut up. Nightcrawlers and chicken liver should work good for you also. If you have access to shad or skipjack they are the best, you can go one day and catch enough to last awhile. Good luck and Welcome

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome to the BOC.

What part of MO do you fish?
    What size are you wanting to target?
    Fish alone, with adults or with your kids?
    Boat or bank fishing?
    What type catfish are you after, flathead, blue or channel?

As you can see, we're going to need a lot more info to advise on bait.

5. myname6

myname6 New Member

State:
    MO
    Well I would love to catch a big blue cat and I dont have a boat so I am stuck on the shore and I noemaly fish at the Harisonville lake but would like to try the river I live in the KC aera

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Like said above-hard to beat a big wad of nightcrawlers-have the 3 kids pick'em up at dawn after these rains we been getting

May not get a big blue,but something will always bite a crawler,and if your taking the kids,thats what its all about.My grandkids have as much fun collecting worms or catching bait fish as much as catching a giant cat,and it happens a lot more often.

7. whisker_chaser

whisker_chaser New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just like the guy said earlier. Take your kids to a lake or pond and get them all baited up with little chunks of night crawlers and little hooks with little bobbers. They will love catching gills, perch, bullheads for you. I have taken my little nephews out to do that several times. Not only do they have fun we catch a lot of bait. win win!!!! Good luck...

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc like that one guy said go to the library you should find a bunch of helpful information

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    If you don't have time to get bait. I suggest you find a friend that is willing to get the bait for both of you guy's.

10. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Welcome to the BOC! I just can't get enought of this place. Need help with any thing concerning out doors. Its here! ENJOY! :0a22:

I'd get out there and start by picking up some of that free bait laying around the yard while its real wet out if you getting rain. Kids love to go out and pick up worms with a flash light at night or in the rain. Set up a little make shift worm bed with them and help them keep it going. Setting all of this up with catching fish. Kids love bait and with that goes fishing.

Take a kid fishing and make a friend. Take an elder fishing and spark a huge lot of knowledge! ​

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing Well-Known Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I got to admit it! Some times the hunt for bait is Just almost as fun! :0a22:

12. poolman37

poolman37 New Member

State:
    missouri
    whisker chaser deff has the plan !...and dont be afraid to use those hand sized bluegill, caught 2 last night on handsized bluegill, 11 1/12 and 6 1/2lbs..didnt think a 6lb channelcat could get a bluegill that size in it's mouth, but it show did !

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    All you need for to catch bait are two kids and worms and inexpensive rod reel combos about 30 feet of shoreline 2 tipup bobbers and a couple of small true turn hooks. The kids will keep you busy baiting hooks for bluegill and they will get to keep their trophies at least for a few hours and youll have bait!

14. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc you will love it:smile2:

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flathead big bait big fish POLLMAN:big_smile:

16. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    IT IS FUN I LOVE TO HUNT FOR BAIT :big_smile:

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    learn to use a throw net and go to a local lake and start stocking up on shad. Take an old cooler with ice in it to get them cooled off as quick as possible. when you get home vaccume seal them or use ziplock bags and freeze them as soon as possible. after a few good bait catching trips you should have enough to last an entire season

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Having the kids catch bream works great, but if you have skipjack in your area, they'll have even more fun catching them...and they freeze great. That's the way I go; take the grandkids out to stock up the freezer with skipjack, and have bait whenever I need it.