Bait Ideas for bluegills traps (Homemade and Store Bought)

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by all_4_Flatcats, Apr 27, 2009.

1. all_4_Flatcats

all_4_Flatcats New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have a License when setting/retrieving Traps and Fishing
    make sure traps are legal sizes

Its not worth the fines and confiscation of your equipment!!!!

"All Of Us Cat Guys Have Thousands Of Dallars Tied In Our Shit"

Just thought I let you guys in on a little secret of mine. Use live comet goldfish for bigger Bluegill and Feeder Guppies for smaller legal traps.

Besure you drill extra small holes in the jar in lid and about 1/3 the lenght all the way around jar otherwise they will get out...

Feeders are cheap at Petsmart and Jack's Aquarium and Pets!

I made a trap from plans I seen here on this site (http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38891).

I made two of them, one legal one not (Legal size bait entrance 1"x1" / 24" long x 12"wide in the state of ohio) the illegal one is the same as the at link just modified a little. 24" long x 24" wide x 11" high (Bait entrances 11" high x 1" wide).

Other simple Modifications Include:

1. Instead of making the bait tube I just drilled holes in the lid of a clean peanut butter jar and tie strapped it to the inside of the trap Top Center a 4" inches away from the 4 Funnels (Be sure to remove the lable from the jar)

2. Bigger Access doors to remove the bait and screw the jar on easier

3. I used Mini Bungies to hold doors closed (Has 4 access doors, one in each corner). Bought those at Harbor Freight.

4. Added 10' of setline, doubled up and tied like you would a troutline w/o hooks. Bought 435 feet at Walmart $8.00.

P.s. I set that Illegal Trap at a Friends Private Pond Twice a Year. I Keep a big Bait Tank Set Up Year Round....

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice of ya to share your thoughts and suggestions. However, you may want to keep the illegal stuff to yourself if you know what I mean!:wink:

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    It's not illegal if it's set at a private pond:wink:

4. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    FLATHEAD STEVE Thank you for backing me up brother.

That's why if you read the post in its entirety, you would have noticed I posted the Legal size for traps in Ohio, as well as the heading in case other people don't so they don't have to pay the fines as well as the heading. I'm not trying to be rude, just wanted to point out read and understand thread before you post Ramrod.

I always stay legal and research before I do anything illegal. I buy a license in Ohio, Ky., and IN. every year!

Hell I spend 90 bucks a year in fishing license alone to stay legal.

5. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sorry to ruffle your feathers but I guess you didn't get what I meant about stating this is illegal. If you had gotten what I meant you would've known I was pointing out not to use the word illegal, it's a sure fire way to have the ODNR keeping an eye on you. They tend to frequent this site and others. Trying to help a newbie on the site out.:wink:

6. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have nothing to worry about. I know the rules and laws of ODNR. I'm legal 100% and gladly show my licenses to anyone who wishes to see them, but know this if I can find my License (Not Happening) after anyone ask to see them count on waiting on me to find them.LOL

A few thing about me:

I Don't sound like do when I type, I'm not paranoid, I don't let stuff bother me, I will apologize but never say I'm sorry ( I'm not a sorry individual ),I always think positive even in negative situations, I don't fear the law, I don't fear man, I don't fear death (But I Respect It), and I fear God...

I apologize if you took that wrong.......

7. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Welcome Larry to the BOC, looks to me you have 3 professional baitcatchers under your supervision, also thanks for the tips.

8. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
  9. all_4_Flatcats

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Only good for minnows and chubs I guess I have to throw out the traps on private property unless I throw the bluegill out as well as the yellow bellies. I'm refering to the legal trap I use on public land.....