Bait Idea

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by PGPugsley, Aug 24, 2005.

1. PGPugsley

PGPugsley New Member

What does everyone think?

Take some chicken breast and slice them about a half inch thick length wise and dehydrate them like you would jerky. Then rehydrate them in blenderized chicken livers. Keeping everything fresh as possible. With maybe just a touch on anise seed/oil. :hmm-big:

Pugsley

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds to me it might be a little to dry.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Almost all of the recipes I see for using chicken breasts involve using the breast meat to soak up some kind of smelly substance. So, it seems to me that you are basically using the breast meat as a sponge. That's expensive sponge material. Oily/greasy fish seem to be much more attractive to catfish than non-oily baitfish, probably because the odor is carried much better in the oil, and because it doesn't wash out of the bait as quickly. That's why skipjack make such a good bait, and why gizzard shad are better bait than threadfin shad. So, if I wanted to use chicken parts for bait, I would use the inside parts, such as liver or guts, and meat/skin from the tail section, which is the greasiest part of the chicken. I didn't include gizzards and hearts in the parts I would use for bait, because I've tried them and never done well.

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Use them insides of that chicken. I like to take the insides of them and blend them all together then use cheese as a base and then put the finished blender mix into the cheese and mix again with a big spoon i like using the sharp shreaded cheese for this.

And as always a looper rig holds my bait.

5. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

i dont claim to be a know it all,and i am not trying to sound like a smart donkey,but my thinking on your question is EAT the chicken and use chicken
    livers. :D :D :D

6. willisjj

willisjj Guest

I too would be hard pressed to use chicken breasts for bait when livers are only a buck or two a tub. Price aside, it sounds like it would work fine to me and it may work just fine even if you don't dehydrate the chicken. Just marinate it like you would if you were going to throw it on the grill.

7. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    I will keep using the insides of the chicken like the liver and everything. I woll eat the white breast meat thats one i wont let pass my belly.

But i have peeled off the outside skin of a whole chicken after it has been fixed and out the oven and used it as bait.

The outside skin on the chickin after it's fixed i do not like but when i skin it off and get to the white meat of it that chicken has seen it's better days.

But if i have one that has went bad for some reason you can bet every part just about will be bait.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    use the chicken breast that has the bone still in it (boneless to expensive to thin) you usually can get about 30 pieces of bait of two large chicken breast i soak them in either liver blood chicken and or beef and i also marinate them in powdered cheese kraft& mac i dont think its too expensive you can usually get them on sale if they are about to expire or just by the know name brand)store brand stuff it works pretty good at least for me...

9. PGPugsley

PGPugsley New Member

Thanks everyone,
    Bacardi, I like the idea about the craft mac and cheese packets. I will try it on my next batch. I would use the chicken livers alone but they are so hard to keep on the hook. I just happened to have a couple of those food dehydraters and using the chicken "jerky" might be a little tougher than the livers alone, making casting better.
    I'll find out this weekend when I hit the fishing hole again.

Pugsley

10. catfishredneck

catfishredneck New Member

State:
    Timpson texas
    i DON'T KNOW ABOUT ALL THAT BUT A COUPLE OF WEEKS I HAD AN OLD TIMER TELL ME TO USE SARDINES RIGHT OUT OF THE CAN FROM THE GROCERY STORE. tried it a couple nights ago and mine I caught alot of catfish. The sardines in water. worked really good give it a try.

11. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    you welcome pugsley i cut the chicken about 1/2" squares or so dont cook or dehydrate them just put in a ziploc shake it keep it in the fridge for a few days and you should be fine

12. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Try adding a lot of garlic powder to that mix. Really packs a punch! :eek:

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    thanks ramrod i will try some on my next batch

14. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    That sounds like a good idea, try it and tell me how it works!

15. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Make sure you come back and tell us how it works.

Has anyone tried the strawberry chicken breast?

16. trippyclwn

trippyclwn Member

State:
    Chattanooga, Tn
    Name:
    Tracey
    mike i havent tried the strawberry chicken breast yet but i do have another type of bait i am going to try down at the pond soon, im going to add boullion cubes to my livers or other parts it seems like they might be salty and tasty enough for em dont you think? who knows we could be onto the next cured chicken phase lol its worth a try and if it works in the pond i would spend the time at the dam fishing with it. ill let you know if it works and another idea would be to use ramen noodle seasoning its kinda like boullion cubes but more flavors wonder if chili flavored ramen noodle seasoning will catch em? just an idea to try if anybody gets to it first lol

17. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    we used to use strawberry chicken breasts for blues in cold water they will tear it up. big bait at santee

18. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I think you could find better uses for the materials listed. I like strawberry chicken breast and cured chicken liver as bait. This gives you 2 distinctly different baits as options.

19. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Trippy get out there and try that stuff out. I am going to try my FIRST batch of cured liver today. I will let you all know the results.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Let me tell you I have tried chicken breast w cherry kool aid ,Strawberry Quick, Anise, Vanilla Extract & Kraft & Mac chicken liver blood plus a few that i probably cant remember. The best have been the cheese coated ones and blood dipped ones. Followed by the Anise& Vanilla finally its a tie between strawberry and Cherry Kool Aid. I will let you guys know how well this works. But I can almost safely say I almost always take with me is the Cheese Chicken Breast & Blood Soaked chicken breast.