Bait Hooks - does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by misterwhisker, Nov 11, 2008.

1. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    just wondering if any one uses bleeding bait hooks? and does it make a difference

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have some that I use, but can't say they are any better than any others just because they are red.. My favorite all around hook for bait is an Eagle Claw #4 Aberdeen... I like the #2 Aberdeen for fishing minnows for crappies and gills.. I also like using the small jig heads as well... Ice fishing sizes.... rollo

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    if you are asking about hooks for catching bait, i always use jig heads because the gills dont swallow them as easy. as far as the color of the hook i try to keep it covered with a worm so they dont see it:wink:, they dont always care, if they are getting picky i just put more worm on.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I think the red is a gimmic and it don't make any difference

5. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I read an article the other day, don't know if it was in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream, discussing the "myth" of red colored hooks and lines. The gist of which was that there was no discernible difference in red and any other color hook when it comes to catch rate.

As for lines, studies have proven that red does not disappear, but appears gray underwater. I also read a study on lines in Sport Fishing saltwater magazine, with actual underwater pics. Red is more visible than most colors. If you are looking for invisibility, then go with fluorocarbon.

My personal experience is that I have used about every color line comes in, and catch fish on all of them. I like nickel plated or black pearl hooks because they retard rust. Bottom line: Go with what makes you happy