Bait hook selection

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by katmandue, Jun 19, 2006.

1. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I'm wondering what hooks everybody uses. I recently started using circle hooks (2/0) and while I've had some bites, I have yet to actually catch a fish on one. Most of the cats in my neck of the woods are fryers. So, at what point does a circle hook become effective. Much more of this and I'm liable to go back to treble hooks.:eek:oooh:

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Believe it or not, I'm not a fan of circle hooks! I have much better success with 8/0 octopus and 7/0 Kahles and 9/0 King Kahles.

3. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been using 7/0 & 9/0 kahles & so far I like them real well. I also use octopus hooks by Gamakatsu it is an awesome J-hook. I use 2/0 thru 8/0 with good success.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I like the 7/0 sea circle hook.

5. Stainless

Stainless Member

State:
    Ft Smith, AR
    I've had a lot of luck with the 4/0 and 6/0 kahles. I don't have to constantly hold my pole waiting for a bite, usually the fish will hook themselves.

6. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i use 2/0-4/0 kahles and have good luck but im not trying to catch 60#ers

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    7/0 kalhes for me i like them a lot

8. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i use the octopus hooks by Gamakatsu.

9. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    is tru-turn it comes in many sizes including 10/0. I have a lot of respect for most of the hooks mentioned and keep a fairly good selection of them. I think hook selection should have a lot to do with what you are going to do with the fish if mortality is not a problem I say use the one that wil really nail them.

SEE YOU ON THE FISH BANK AT THE BOC NATIONAL GATHERING

10. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have to agree with you.I use tru-turn on everything from trotlines to jugs to rod and reel.Glad to see I ain't the only one.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Kahles, circles, J's, trebles for me, a lot of different sizes

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Once you learn how to use circle hooks you will never go back. Here are a few very important points:

1) The hook tip and barb need to be well exposed through the bait. Do not bury the hook tip in the bait or try to hide it or they will not work. This is the second biggest problem I have seen with folks who switch over to them.

2) Do not go "jerk crazy" on the first nibble. Let the rod fold over and then reel. Forget the "mighty jerk" you grew up on. I had a guide tell me that he will not let experienced fishermen who have never used circle hooks take the rod out of the rod holder until they crank the reel 10 times!!!

3) Use a hook slightly larger than normal for the bait you are using. This allows the hook tip to be properly exposed.

Circle hooks can be the greatest addition to your tackle box that you will ever make, but if you are not willing to do things differently than you have in the past then stick to whatever you are using.

There is a reason why professional anglers all over the world have switched to circle hooks for many applications.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I was just wondeering if you are jerking the rod when you get a bite? If so don't with a circle hook all you really need to do is a slow lift are hold on and let the fish hook itself. It took me about a week of missing fish to learn this but that was long before the brotherhood

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I use circles in waters that has primaraly blues.I use kahles for channels and flatheads 9/0 for flatheads 4/0 for channels.Finicky biters like channel and flatheads can be hard to hook with circles.The blue locomotive hooks theirselves everytime on a circle though.Nothin like the hit of a blue.

15. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I use kahle and j hooks, I have tried circle hooks but have a hard time waiting and not jerking them. I need to work on that I guess.

16. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    buddy caught 24 pound flathead with eagle claw 7/0 circle sea, couldnt get it out with pliers. i am a believer.

17. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i use a lot of hooks but i onlie use circle hooks on my set lines i have a problem with wating for the fish and if i used them with people around i dont get aney peace when i get a bite all i hear is "you got a bite you got a bite!! set the hook " if i use a yo yo though i use true tun blood red hope this helps

18. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Since you say the size is "fryer" size - I take to be a pound or so. Try a little smaller hook. I always have a rod out with a #2 (not 2/0) gamakatsu octopus circle. That size does just fine for smaller cats. The whole fryers are what I'm always after for a mess of cats to clean. Yum yum.

To restate what's been said on the BOC a 100 times about circle hooks, put the rod in a holder and don't pick it up and start reeling until the rod's loaded. Don't set the hook.

19. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    For those small fryers Ive started useing #2/0 kahls, 2/0 octopus circles and the gamakatsu wide gap finess hook in a 3/0. I love circles but I have certain applications were I use them.

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I used Kahle as small as a #8.They will catch Bream as small as 3" and still hold a 14" Cat.I normally used a #1 to a #2/0 Kahle for frying size Cats.I have some #7/0 and #10/0 Kahle that I have yet to use.peewee-williams