Bait gone horribly horribly bad

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Aug 10, 2009.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Well, this is kinda a funny story so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

I have 2 fridges..one in the garage for beer/bait, one in the house for everything else. Last week I finally had a chance to move the nicer fridge out of the garage and the older one into the garage.

Well, come Thursday my garage is smelling a little funky, but I didnt think anything of it with all the heat we've had and all the hunting/fishing gear I have layin around.

I go to open the fridge in the garage to put something it on Satuday, and its hotter than hell. So of course I'm thinking "o shyt." Sure enough, open the freezer and WHAM. Smell hits me like a ton of bricks and I puke almost immediately. I had some old shad, trout, and a few other things in that freezer that had been rotting for almost a week bc the fridge went out. I get the fridge out of the garage and clean up all the shad juices, soak it with bleach/every other cleaning item in my house for a good 24 hrs, and the freezer STILL wreaks horrendously bad. Needless to say, that fridge will be gondie soon.

If anyone wants a free fridge let me know and you can come pick it up :smile2:.

2. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I got lazy when we got home Sunday, now I have a livewell that resembles your story. Instapuke :sad2:.........:smile2:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Got me laughing some what here. I had to start thinking exactly along the lines of what you was seeing an smelling. Since your offering the refrig. to a good home.

I'll Pass!

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Kevin thanks but no thanks on the frig ,i had that happen to a freezer that had a 100 lbs or so of shrimp an fish in it ,gawd what a smell :wink:

5. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    anytime this happens and bleach just doesnt cut it.. clean it with baking soda and vinegar, just vinegar usually works but if you add a teaspoon of baking soda sometimes it will help boil out the bacteria in the plastic. give it a try, my 80yr old grandmother swears by cleaning with this stuff!

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I've never tried it for myself, but a forensic scientist buddy of mine told me that burnt coffee grounds will get rid of the decomp smell.

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Kevin, kinda sounds like my bait fridge/freezer out in the Cathouse (shed). It always smells like that, even though it's working, just defrosted the freezer today, neighbor asked if I had something dead over here:smile2:. It's freezing back up now.
    If it doesn't work, and you're going to get rid of it, why bother cleaning it?

8. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I feel your pain. When I got back from Alabama yesterday, I found my little six-pack vinyl bait cooler sitting in the middle of the garage floor where I'd forgotten to empty it a couple of days before I had left town. Two tubs of chicken livers and a tub of nightcrawlers in a hot garage for about seven days had me running for the bleach as well, as it had leaked out of the corner, and the maggots were already starting to have a field day with it. Yuk.

9. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    diesel fuel or kerosene,, if that dont work i dunno what will.

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin called me last weekend to tell me this story. I was laughing pretty hard then, and I still am after reading about it:smile2:. I know he had a big old bag of BIG nasty shad, I can only imagine what that smelt like. Haha, good stuff.

11. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Did that once with my tackle box, was fishing the CA Aquaduct and put my leftover frozen anchovies in my tackle box instead of the ice chest, noticed something smelling opened my tackle box about 2 weeks later and WOW!!! the smell was horrenduos:eek:oooh:

12. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Just opened the trunk to my car from the gathering, found a tub of liver that had been in there science thursday, wow my cats ran from the smell. the stuff catfishermen mess with can be powerfull whooie that will clear your head

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Probably smelled about like Rick's boat at El Dorado. That was a smell I won't soon forget.

14. Mosquito Bait

Mosquito Bait New Member

State:
    Gardner, Kansas
    Yeah I got a whiff of that rancid smell to Jay. I walked past his boat and could practically taste the stink in the air. I thought maybe something had crawled under the floorboards of his boat and died. Phew!:eek:oooh::crazy:

15. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have been there.My bait fridge went out and my wife almost died form the smell.

16. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yup, Jessie. When bait goes horribly, tragically bad it does indeed "form"
    an invisible wall that it physically hurts to walk into. Not that the smell is
    so bad, its the watering of the eyes that stops you in your tracks. Sorta
    like tear gas without the mask...

17. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I feel your pain. My sister left 15 lbs of venison hamburger in the freezer last nov, it was cold out and not plugged in. Well come spring there was a stink in the garage and after a while they figured it out. She was kinda upset, cause she told me to check the freezer, and I thought she meant the one in the basement. The worst part is I'm outa venison now.