Bait for trotlines and juglines

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lawnman61, Feb 21, 2006.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Back when I lived in Lake Charles, Louisiana, I had trotlines and juglines out and I had ben using cut perch and cut shad and I was catching several different type of fish. One day I was pulling lines in and had a 3 ft. alligator gar and decided to keep it and take it back to shore and cut it up into pieces and try it for baiting my lines, I went back later that evening and I was surprised to see almost all the hooks were filled with the nicest cats I ever caught.
    I was just wondering if anyone else has tried using cut gar for bait ?
    If not you might wanna try it sometime if you dare to tackle the gar.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    havent tried it yet but after reading some post's on here im sure gonna give it a try for cut-bait.....and dinner:D

3. snifflucky

snifflucky New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sounds like something I may try. Thanks for the suggestion.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex

No problem, hope it works just as good for you as it did for me. I haven't tried it since I came back to Texas.
    Good luck.

5. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    thanks fer the info Lawnman,the only thing a garr has done fer me is tear up me shad net!:cursing:

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Gar arebad for tearing things up including people. I hope they work good for you. Their skin is very tough and hard to cut up into pieces but it stays on the hook real well.
    Good luck. :)

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I bowfish gar, I going to have to give it a try.

8. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    In my younger days I said a good gar is a dead gar. Now I have a reason for dispatching them into the gar nether world.

Great tip.

9. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    For jugs we use cut baits (mostly shad and bream) For trotlines we use the same as jugs but we'll put a few live bream and crawfish on also!

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    If you use fresh cuts during the early Spring, you should catch some nice Flatheads.

11. basshole

basshole New Member

State:
    Mo
    If yall catch a nice enough gar to mess with (4-6 ft)....That is some of the best eating out there.....It is an old "coon ass" recipie that my grandma would cook.... It is a very lengthy process but well worth it. Take a hatchet or cain knife and skim the a layer of scales off their back (wide as the fish's back from the head all the way back to the tail) Get a sturdy spoon and slip it between the sides of the fish and the meat work it all the way to the front of the fish. seperate the meat from the guts and cut the meat (still attached to bones) into managable portions, boil a large pot of water and drop the fish in for 2 or 3 minutes, remove from water and pull the meat off the bones (should slide right off after bieng sofened up). Grind the meat and form into balls (same size as spagehti meat balls) mixing it with some fresh parsley, green onions(shalots) and a little creole seasoning (preferably "Tony Chachere's"). Bake the Gar balls @ 350 for about 20 or 30 minutes, make a roux and when it is nice and dark brown add enough water to cover your balls (gar balls). put them in the gravy and let it cook about 15 minutes....takes a while but I have heard accounts of people trying to lick thier own A-hole to get a second taste.....P.S. If you don't know what a roux is...you should not even attempt this recipe....It only takes one yankee chef to ruin a good pot of anything....maybe you know a coonass who can help you out.