Bait for trapping Carp Minnows? Please help thanks

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Missouricathunter25, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    I was wondering what is the best bait to trap Carp Minnows?? Also does any1 know if there is creek chubs around the kc area creeks? Can't seem to find none around my creeks north of kc area airport? Thanks and happy fishing.

2. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ritz crackers usually work well

3. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Chubs areusualy found in clear, rocky streams, (not always) & spring fed.
    carp dough, bait. Should be a good, to put in a trap. make your own.
    Jim

4. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    While I haven't checked the creeks here close to my house in NW Liberty yet, I'm sure there are chubs in there. I still drive to my parents house near Lawson to catch all of mine. The two creeks I fish up there are mostly rocky with a mixture of sand and mud bottom pools, and do flow clear when not flooded. A handful of worms cut into 1/2" long pieces and a tiny hook, half hour later I've got 30 fish. I'll have to try the Ritz cracker thing for carp minnows sometime, if'n I can find that old minnow trap....

5. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Now come to think of it, there is a small creek just north of Ferrelview that might be suitable for chubs. Couple miles north of town on Interurban road. It's been a few years since I been up that way, so couldn't tell you how it is, and you may have to look upstream a bit to get away from the rock quarry that is there cause of "natural" ground seepage of not so friendly contaminents. I'm sure there are ithers around there, I've just never looked that close.

6. Missouricathunter25

Missouricathunter25 New Member

State:
    Weston, Missouri
    Thanks. I am not for sure if there are chubs in my neighbors pond that is spring fed? Lately out of my creeks I have been getting bullheads, crawdads and little shiner minnows good for crappie.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You can use a castnet to get 3 to 6 inch lil carp if ya know a hole full of em. Also you can bait a minnow trap with cottenseed cake chunk about 2x2 inch.

8. Matthew.Morris

Matthew.Morris New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use cottonseed cake in a trap... that'll also get you sunfish, crawdads, and bullheads (all good bait!). Also try to find a spillway near one of the lakes up your way and toss a cast net. Spillways are always full of good baitfish if the water's movin.

9. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    A SMALL CAN OF CATFOOD WITH HOLES PUNCHED IN IT WILL LOAD A MINNOWTRAP OVERNIGHT. i CUT THE FUNNELS BACK IN MY TRAP TP ALLOW BIGGER FISH TO GET IN IT AND ALLOW THE CRAPPIE BAIT TO GET BACK OUT

10. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas

dog food... thats what ive read on the forums anyways. havent tried it... i hear they love it though!:big_smile:

11. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    5 gallon bucket top facing current at about a 45 degree angle, holes drilled in the sides and bottom, stink bait in panty hose hung inside...let it sit over night