Bait for the mighty Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by kccatman76, Jul 7, 2007.

1. kccatman76

kccatman76 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i just started to fish the missouri i have been using gold fish and perch . i have only caught a bunch of small cats about 10 to 25 pounds i want to get in to some big ones . i am going back to the missouri tonight does anyone have some suggestions? if so please help ty, kccatman76

2. catsblameme

catsblameme New Member

State:
    Missouri
    bigger bait?!? try cast netting for shad and use some large pieces/filiets. i prefer to use live bait around 10-12 in. but the big ones do eat small fish too.
    part of it is that its just a matter of time in most cases.

3. catsblameme

catsblameme New Member

State:
    Missouri
    what kind of live bait do others use/prefer?

my preference is creek chub, a native missouri minnow, which can grow quite large. the problem is they are hard to come by but with my experience worth the effort. ive hear it said they work 200% better than any other bait.

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I know blues eat both, but I have a hard time keeping live bait alive and where I want it in strong current. I like cut bait 90% of the time, but I'll throw live depending on where I'm fishing and what I'm fishing for. Fresh cut shad is pretty hard to beat and easy to get, cut carp is good stuff, cut bluegill, most stuff cut up fresh works well. You're using good bait now, I think CatsBlameMe is right it's just a matter of time.