Bait for Reservoirs

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by howard2119, Mar 26, 2009.

1. howard2119

howard2119 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What is the best bait to use in a reservoir. I have tried cut shad and shrimp i get a few on shad but far and few between.

2. capt of the Floater

capt of the Floater New Member

State:
    Ohio
    howard2119,
    you might not be fishing in the right spots. 75% of the bait that I use is shad weither it is whole or cut. try moving to differt spots then where you would normally go.

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I agree shad is my number one bait. Fishing lakes presents different problems at different times of the year. There are very few holes where you will catch fish year round. There habits change when the weather changes. I'm not a reservoir guru by no means but this time of year you will probably have the most luck fishing shallow water that the sun has warmed. As the season passes the fish will go deep to find cooler water then shallow after spawn then back to deep water for winter. Other baits will catch fish but I have always had the best luck with fresh shad..

4. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Something else you may need to look at is what the forage base is in that lake, is it shad?, shiners?, panfish?, use what's common in that body of water, and if it's a place that has a lot of feeder creeks, chubs are one of my favorite baits as far as channels go, and if you can get really big ones and keep them alive they work well for flats too in my book. You may want to try bluegill also, because I have yet to find a body of water without bluegill, just a thought.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    My go to baits in the reservoirs is usually live warmouth or gills. 3 to 5 inchers. Kinda keeps the small ones away and lures in the big boys!!

6. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use big gills in the spring and fall and in the summer when water is really warn i switch to goldfish they stay alive in the hot water also always treat your water in your bait bucket put a little lake water in then wait few mins. put some more in gives the fish time to get used to the lake water temp

7. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i do best on gills, they seem to be in every body so the cats don't know if i got them there or what, u can use them while there living, and cut them up when they die off.

8. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am a big fan of cut suckers....caught more big cats on those than anything else...I have also done well on shad but just seems to me i catch more lil ones on shad than i would on cut suckers....hard to find is their only downside....Alive suckers also work good on flatties....especially in the spring....Thanks hope i helped some....