Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Bait for ponds - what do you use

1K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  Cheez 
#1 ·
i was just wondering what you use for bait when fishing ponds.

#8 ·
i use cut bream, because they are usually the main forage base in most ponds i've seen.

#11 ·
fish have a genetic imprint of what to eat, but it is influneced by what is in their surroundings. The reasons that they eat some things more readily depends on a few factors but mostly they need to be able to smell the proteins and fats they seek. that why liver is such a good bait they can smell the blood and oils that it is made of. Although some foods maybe natural in a river they are not in a pond. Shad and Skips are hard to use in a pond, they just don't belong but the inards work terrific. MInnows from nearby creeks and same water blue gills will be good bets and a handful of worms is hard for any fish to turn down regardless if location. It is also important you beware of adding other odors that do not belong, two bigs are gas or motor oil. It is always a good idea to wash your hands before you start handling bait.
I am rambling....hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.