bait for jugs

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by so ill catman, Jul 1, 2009.

1. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    im new to jugn and the few times i have went i have used some sort of cut bait on the jugs and had descent success. what else do people use as bait on jugs?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Live perch, shad, goldfish, bullheads and crawdads. Hotdogs soaked in garlic, cut shad, skipjack, frogs, liver just to name a few. I use about any bait I can get except dip bait on my jugs.
    Welcome to the BOC

3. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've had my best luck with liver since we can't use game fish for cut bait on jugs in SC, and no live bait.

4. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had my best luck on hotdogs, liver and cutbait. Fishing all different depths. Let your hotdogs soak for a day or so, i find that vinigar and garlic will tuffen up the hotdogs as well.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have run jugs for several years now and the best bait I have use is hot dogs. The cheapest ones you can find. I have soaked them in everything I can think of and right out of the pack seems to work just as well. I did notice I had better luck with the cheap ones than all beef or ones with cheeze in them. I like to set them out in the sun and let the oils begin to churn..they are harder to get off the hook to.

6. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Welcome to the BOC !!!!:big_smile:

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shad heads, bluegill heads and 2 inch chunks of cut carp with skin.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    You have got some great bait suggestions, The only thing I have not seen
    mentioned is shrimp and large live chubs if live bait is legal in your area.
    Some people soak their shrimp in garlic and or cool aid.

9. Kalvinc

Kalvinc New Member

State:
    Russellville, AR
    Just use the bait that don't come off too easy and produces the most fish for you r&r fishing, can't go wrong there!

10. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    shad, Live shiners, any kinda cut bait, Hotdogs i know it sounds crazy but Dave is right I usual soak mine in garlic. Cut eel works damn good and is hard to get off the hook so the Gar cant knock it off.

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried bacon, salt pork, chitlings, hot dogs, fresh chicken liver, cured chicken liver, live bream, and probably several other baits I can't think of right now, but nothing comes close to working as well as fresh cut shad or skipjack. I catch 95% of my catfish on frozen skipjack.

12. so ill catman

so ill catman New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the tips guys

13. mulemann

mulemann New Member

State:
    MISSOURI JEFFERSON CITY
    Chicken gizzards soaked in vanilla and left in a warm place a few days

14. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    When I jug it is to target small cats for a family or church fish fry so I am trying to catch the smaller ones.I have better luck on shrimp or as mentioned the cheap pork or turkey hotdogs.The hotdogs I cut in small peices and place them in a mason jar full of water and two packs of strawberry coolaid with a clove or two of garlic.Let them soak for at least a day and they are good to go.Good luck

15. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I have always used cut skipjack and shad guts, But I think I am going to try the Hotdog thing. Thanks Dave.

16. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn