Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built one of the gill traps from the library,the question is what type of bait or chum do you guys use in it

·
Super Moderator
24,900 Posts
If you will get yourself a cloth bag and put bread or fish chow in it, it will draw the bream and gills into the trap. By putting your bait in a cloth bag it will last longer. The gills and bream come up to the bag and suck on it to get some of the bait.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
All the above work great. I usually use bread with a couple pieces of onion, not sure why but I usually get more that way.
Also, I've heard of people using packing styrofoam peanuts, Ramen noodles(which do work) and plain ol dry dog/cat food.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
i had dog food in one and soured grain in the other out in my tanks last night, caught 10 gills in the soured grain and none in the dog food. Usually catch alot with dog food but i dunno what the deal was. I switched the baits in the traps to see if location had more to do with it

·
USCA Jailhouse Lawyer
15,071 Posts
Ty, thanks for asking that question. I have been thinking about making one of the traps in the library and that was also on my mind!:big_smile:
Deb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.