bait for flathead catfish.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, May 31, 2009.

  1. shanelures

    shanelures New Member

    Messages:
    517
    State:
    ohio
    i just started fishing flathead last year.usually fish between waterville and grand rapids using live bluegills for bait.i was hoping someone could share a little info on maumee river flats.my pb is only 15lbs. i was wondering if you catch larger fish on live or cut shad vrs live bluegill. i only fish for the pics.don't take nothing from the river but pic and memories.i have been dreaming of that pic with a 20+ lber. thanks a million for any info shane.
     
  2. adamj

    adamj New Member

    Messages:
    286
    State:
    buckeye land
    Both baits will work equally well for larger fish. Flats in the maumee relate to both wood and rock. Keep at it and try new spots.
     

  3. flathunter

    flathunter New Member

    Messages:
    5,723
    State:
    Ohio
    Personally, all my flatheads have come on fresh cut shad, mainly the heads.
     
  4. Deerslayer29

    Deerslayer29 New Member

    Messages:
    76
    State:
    Ohio
    I catch 95% of my shovelheads on fresh cut shad. Heads only. By fresh I mean less than 6 hours old. Sometimes I'll get em and put em on ice for the evening and they still work. Frozen shad DO NOT CATCH FISH for me. The other 5% of fish are caught on suckers. A good buddy of mine likes to use drum alive and cut the tail off. Just use shad heads you'll get that 20.
     
  5. kitsinni

    kitsinni New Member

    Messages:
    1,573
    State:
    Ohio
    I don't have as many years of experience as a lot of these guys but for me fresh cut shad works wonders in lakes but in rivers they pound live bluegills. I have never caught a flat on live shad in a river myself. I think the river current just beats the live shad up and the bluegill can take it a bit more. I fish the Ohio and GMR though not sure if it is different up there.
     
  6. shanelures

    shanelures New Member

    Messages:
    517
    State:
    ohio
    thanks alot everyone for the info.i will try some new spots, shane
     
  7. Eudora

    Eudora New Member

    Messages:
    272
    State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Shane:

    I agree with a lot of these guys. Fresh cut shad is tough to beat. I also like to use the heads. This year, fresh cut sheepshead and sucker heads have been working well too. Good luck.

    Andy
     
  8. Catfish-fever

    Catfish-fever New Member

    Messages:
    141
    State:
    Ohio
    For flatheads... Any lively bait fish. Live bluegill is good... but goldfish, bullheads, bass, rock bass.... And I think it really boils down to what the fish in the area you are fishing are used to eating. If you use shad in water that has no shad, the shovelhead may eat it. But he may be more likely to take a bass minnow if that is what he is eating.