Bait for farm raised catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by ozzfreak, May 26, 2006.

1. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I will be taking my son to a childrens catfish tournament they have every year here in a few weeks. They stock the city pond with 2-300 1-3 lb catfish, and they are farm raised. I got to thinking this year, since they have only been in that water for a day when they tournament starts, they just came from the farm, so they have no natural baits, they only get the pellets or whatever. So anyone have any suggestions to help my son have an advantage, :lol: , over everyone? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Andy, I think you might have some luck with worms and chicken liver. I also caught some of the ones I was raising with crickets while I was bream fishing. I had never heard of Danny King's Punch bait back then but it might be worth a try. Good luck and let us know how ya'll did.

ST

Hey Andy, I just realized this was your first post so.....
    Welcome to the Brotherhood! It's always good to have more Arkies on board. Just make yourself at home Bro.

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    In a local farmed raised catfish pond, we've used liver with huge success. Havnt ever used anything else.

4. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    chicken breast with cherry kool aid or cajun crawdad tail from walmart

5. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i know you probably wont do this but i find that nightcrawlers really are a natural bait and the catfish have eaten them in farm ponds. so use some nightcrawlers and try stinkbait also that gets them small cats very aroused!

6. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    alright guys, thanks. I have been fishing this tournament for the last 2 years with my son, but before he was old enough, I would go myself after it was over for the past 10ish years. I always come home with between 10-20 keepers. I usually have the best luck with livers and worms, but I just had a thought that maybe there would be something that the "farmers" would like better. Thanks for the help.

andy

7. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    chicken liver with nightcrawers. Ive had a huge sucess on that.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Ask H2O Mellon he is the pay pond KING! LOL And welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net! I have never tried this but have heard dogfood with the holes in the middle like a donut, just load a hook up with them sence they are used to the pellets.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cant go wrong with nite-crawlers for farm cats. now if you can get hold of some catalpa worms, thiose things are a miracle bait for them! i used to fish farm cats years ago and it seemed i done best on catalpas, crawlers, cube steak, or spam.

10. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    What about some catalpa worm paste? The stuff that you fill up that little ball thing on a hook. I thought about getting that. I don't think i've ever seen any catalpa worms around here though, other than that.

Andy

11. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC. I think nightcralers or Danny King punch bait should be good.

12. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If they are used to eating pellets, you could try mixing some of the pellets in with some doughbait. Other then that, I would go with what most everybody is recommending in the chicken livers.

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Few years ago my father in law had a stock pond stocked with channel cats, he fed them daily and the best bait for catching them was chicken liver.

14. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    guess I will stick with my tried and true method then as everyone suggests. I am going to go to the lake (Table Rock in SW Missouri) tonight, first time all year, so hopefully I have some luck with that. Thanks all for the help.

Andy

15. kscatman

kscatman New Member

State:
    LAWRENCE,KS
    I've had great luck with danny kings for stocked fish in one of our little community lakes that I take my daughter to. I've also caught alot on liver but they seem a little more apt to take the danny kings. The original with garlic seems to catch the most fish, while the blood flavor tends to catch bigger fish but a few less.

16. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I've never heard of danny kings. Where would I get it, cuz i didn't see it at walmart.

17. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    I tried the catalpa worm paste the other night at the lake. I didn't get any bites off of that, but they were going nuts over night crawlers. I had the biggest cat (I'm assuming) that I've ever had on before. Of course, my luck, the line broke. I wanted to cry. Just thought I'd say that about the worm paste though.

18. rocko

rocko New Member

State:
    missouri
    go to your local co op store and purchase fish chow pellet form . throw it in your blender and grind it up, and mix it in your favorite dough bait or blood bait and fish near the top of the water since farm rasied cat are fed at the surface. works every time for me.

bill

19. mfd

mfd New Member

State:
    KY
    I fish in a ******* 4or 5 times a week and find strawberry shrimp works really well. for 1 lb. raw in shell shrimp, sprinkle on one small box strawbrerry jello, 1 tablespoon vinegar(white or red), and some red food coloring. stir together very well. Put in a zip lock bag and refrigerate overnight, turning often or whenever you think about it. Don't peel the shrimp before putting on the hook. Last year I caught 2269 lbs. of channel cats using this most of the time. good luck!! mfd

20. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went fishing in a pond that was stocked with farm raised...if they wouldn't bite just toss a handful or two of catfish food or those little pellets and they will bite a bare hook.