Bait for Eel traps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by gunny169, Jan 18, 2006.

1. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    :0a35: Can anyone tell me what would be the bait of choice for catching eels in a trap? When would be the best time to start putting out traps? And how deep or shallow should the traps be placed? thanks

2. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Gunny, good question bro!
    I've been playind around with some homemade traps and baits. Haven't had a lot of luck so far. Use your mind and come up with wahatever and try different depts and then share the wealth. I'm still trying myself.

3. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    hopefully before the weather starts turning warm, I'll have it down and i'll let you know.

4. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    the best bait for eel pots is either cut up blue gill or chicken liver as i have found. you can catch them year round. just put them near a snag pile or something like that. i have a spot that i get about 150 to 200 each time i pull. i usually leave the trap in the water for at least a week before checking. email me i send you some pics of the traps i use and some of the eels i catch. hope this helps.

5. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    thanks for the info. I'll try it and see what happens.

6. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    here are some pics of pots. hope the show you some of what they look like. hope this helps. guess they will not uplaod. if whistler can im me i send them to him and get him to upload. ok. thankx

7. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    when using chicken livers for bait for eels. do you put the livers in nylons/ or small mesh bag to hold them together?

8. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    use black nylons or something like a bait sack. i will try to get pics posted but they seem to large to put on here for some reason. not sure. any help would be nice. thankx

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Joe, if you want to, email them to me at: ____ and I'll resize them for you, then return them to you, or post for you, whichever you prefer.

Paul >> Removed open e-mail to prevent spammers from targeting the BOC with e-mail harvesters. If there is no pay-off, the majority will move on to greener pastures quickly.

10. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    sent the pics to you if you could post i can explain them so everyone understands. thankx

11. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    Can someone post a picture of these eels? Can you explain what you are talking about for us dumb folks? Is this a fresh water thing? Please explain for a west texas dummy

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Joe, here are the pics of the eel traps after resizing:

Attached Files:

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Check this link for a photo of the american eel: http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=74
    They inhabit most rivers that connect to the atlantic ocean, at least on the east coast. The life cycle is pretty interesting..just do a search on 'american eel' and you should be able to find out whatever you need to know.

14. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey thankx a lot for posting those pics for me. here is the explanation for them. the traps are about 3 feet tall and bigger depending on how many and what size eels i want. you can see in the pics that there are 2 chambers. the first chamber is where fish can get in and out. the second area is wheree the bait is put and where the eels go. the pic showing the top in is a way to see the size whole i use. i use a cloth that will not rot or anything. but how the traps are made if you catch eels you must remover them when you pick up pot. because if you drop back into water the eels will esacpe because it opens up the second chamber trap cloth with water pressure backwards. i hope this helps some. if any other question or like to get a trap contact me. i am going to use some of the moneis made to send to boc to help out again this year.

15. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I used to buy my eels for striped bass from a Puerto Rican fisherman when I lived back east.He caught them the easiest way I have ever seen. He got meat scraps from the meat department at the grocery store for free.Then he simply put the bait in a burlap sack along with a rock to sink it.He attached a rope,threw it in the river,and let it set overnight.The eels would force their way through the weave and into the sack and feed.When he pulled the sack up,they would still be inside and chowing up.He then simply dumped the sack into a large tub and culled them to size.Simple and very effective.

BILL

16. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    joe how long can you keep eels in a bait tank before they start dying?

17. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i can keep them for a while but i sale them so fast not really sure.

18. michaelgriffis

michaelgriffis New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    do you feed them while you keep them?

19. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    no i dont feed them. i guess you could but i get rid of them so fast there is no need for me to feed them at all.

20. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    Best thing is a hessian sack filled with guts and general crap, tied up with a rope and slung out in the margins under a bush, the eels teeth get caught in the sack, thats how you catch them but you still need to be relatively quick when pulling the sack in. Eels are another fish that feed by the moon, so bait up in the evenings and retrieve the sacks early in the mornings