Bait for daytime verse morning

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catfish77, Jul 17, 2007.

1. catfish77

catfish77 New Member

State:
    Mo (St. Charles area)
    Just wondering if you guys are changing your bait from daytime to nightime. I've been using goldfish and cut shad but have not had to much luck. Also if your using cut shad or skipjack, how much are you guys putting on your hook.

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I personally use the same bait, day or night. It all depends on what type of Cats you're after.

As far as how much bait on the hook? When fishing for Blues I'll sometimes put a whole one on thats alive and cut him a little. Or I'll use a LONG strip of Carp filet so it flaps in the current. Or I'll load the hook up with a few chunks or one big chunk, it's hard to answer that question. The main thing to keep in mind is to leave the tip of the hook exposed enough so it can do its job when you get the bite. Also check the hook after baiting to make sure no scales are stuck on the point that would keep it from penetrating.

I'm still learning everyday.

You'll get a hundred different responses to this question.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    YUP! What Darryl said. Hook point exposure is the main concern with bait.

4. catfish77

catfish77 New Member

State:
    Mo (St. Charles area)
    Thanks guys. I have a theory. Big poles+big hooks+big bait=== Big Catfish. Of course I have not been right yet.

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I use the same bait no matter what time of day it is. and like Darryl said, make sure that point is exposed. i also used to go by that theory but i caught my biggest fish on some of the smallest bait and some of my smallest fish on my biggest baits. I have caught flatheads (4-8 inches long) before that never even touched the hook, just got gagged on the bait. But keep tryin your day will come with the big ones.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Darryl. Good explanation. Hook point exposed.:0a27::0a12:

7. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I use the same bait day or nite. fish a little deeper in hole or off deeper water form a dropoff in the day. I hope this help???

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You are exactly right about the hook tip being exposed and not under tough skin or scales. You want to somehow hook the bait enough so it will stay on the hook in the current and casting. Then you set the hook hard, for the bait to explode in their mouth for a good clean hook set. I go ahead and sharpen my new hooks even on the back side so it looks like a double edge sword tip. Doing this, I take two round chain saw files and duct tape them together that gives about the right angle to just run the hook down between them.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    But one day you will be right. :wink: