bait for bigger channels

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by kathunter_64, Aug 1, 2009.

1. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    im looking for advice on what bait would be best for larger channels during the daytime, and diff tips for night. im really looking for a 20lber by the end of summer. hook me up with ideas for bait haha. im thinkin kahle hooks with a good med. sized gill head

thanks guys! :wink:

2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

I am not from your area, but here in Missouri. Big Channels are meat eaters. gill, shad.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For big hungry channels.. as i would blues use the skipjack heads and the chunks. May help to add a little garlic on it for scent. Hope this helps.

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Whats working for me in Kansas is a 4-6" green sunfish on a #8 gama octopus, suspended with a 3" Fat Kat Bobber. I fish em right of the bank. The biggest was a 20# channel and the smallest I got tonite was a 7.4# channel. All were caught at night. Its jus not channels, it works for blues and flatheads also. Good luck.

5. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    i like the idea of using live bait for big channels because i may get a flathead in the process :big_smile:.. but i think i may fish it on bottom with a carolina rig, or maybe a three way swivel... hmm?

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    One word and one word only. "EELS" Ya won't go wrong. Live or cut. The choice is yours. :wink:

7. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    sadly i cant get eels around here :sad2:

8. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I dont know were your located in Va, But here at Smith Mtn Lake as well as Claytor lake and The New and Upper James river. My larger Channel cats come from fish. Live Sunfish are killer on big channels as well as Cut shad. I've never caught a 20lb channel. But My largest 18lb, 15lb, two 14lbs and several 13lbers. I'd assume most if not all came from live or cutbaits, most intended for Flatheads OR stripers. Claytor has a huge umber of 10+ lb channel cats. Although my 14 - 18lbers came from Smith Mtn Lake.......

9. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    All of my channels over 20lbs I caught on fresh cutbait up here i like goldeyes/mooneyes and suckers. Big steaks 3'' + thick. I find during the day deeper is a little better. Right now the evening bite and after dark has been pretty consistent. :smile2:

10. kathunter_64

kathunter_64 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    gonna head down tomorrow and try some big cut bait :big_smile:.. lets hope for a nice one haha

11. Canadiancatman

Canadiancatman New Member

State:
    Manitoba Canada
    Good luck tommorrow!! Catch a monster and post up some pics!! :cool2:

12. gamaCatsu

gamaCatsu New Member

State:
    NC
    7/0 gama octo's, i take a bream scale one side, and cut him down the middle leaving all the nice neat things to hangout, this gives you all kinda smells blood, fish oils ect ect..that has caught me a pb of 18.5 lbs.

13. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    I've caught some good size channels on bluegills and rock bass cut from the back of the dorsal fin all the way through. Use the head or the tail sections, they both work very well! Good luck and post some pics.