bait food???

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by river bum, Jul 20, 2009.

1. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    iv gotta bait tank thats about 50 gallons and iv got a mix of wild shiners creek chubs and small blue gilles in it. i only fish 1 or two times a week wat should i feed them to keep them alive an happy

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually throw some crushed crackers or torn up worms (cleaned off) in to them. I'm interested to see what other people say...:wink:

3. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    I would say the same thing. You can also use goldfish food.

Somebody on here once said they used a light to attract bugs that would fall in the water and then the fish ate the bugs.

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    When I have bullheads in the tank and a perch dies, I don't take it out. Sooner or later there isnt any perch left. :wink:

5. t-roy

t-roy Member

State:
    va
    i have a bait tank in my shop i keep bluegills in so i can have fresh bait all winter long. usually it takes several weeks for the gills to start to eat again after i have placed them in the tank having caught them from local ponds.when the water temp is above 39 i will put rosey red minnows from the pet store in the tank for the gills to feed on when they get hungry. that way there is no left over food floating around and causing probs with filters or causing the wrong kind of bacteria. my tank is a 110 gal stock tank and i try to keep 50 or so assorted sized gills. when temp gets below 39 the gills will go in to a dormit stage till temps rise and most of the rosey reds start to die as the temp falls toward 39. i live in va so i feed sept thru dec usually after that they go dormit and dont eat. i know its a lot of info but i hope it helps. i have a few seasons now doing trial and error methods and so far this works the best. good luck t-roy

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That's very helpful, Troy, thanks! And welcome to the BOC!

7. t-roy

t-roy Member

State:
    va
    thanx jmanion8 t-roy