Bait fishin', nada...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Stumpknocker2, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    I went fishing for gills this evening for bait. It was after a rain and I felt certian I would get some, but nada. I am fishing a new river in the morning for blues and flats, I guess I will just have to try to catch bait there. I don't have a cast net at the time so that option is out. I have some frozen bass in the freezer, I thought that might get me started. Thoughts...?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if its ok on your states regs id say GO for it you aint got nothing to loose

3. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Probably not the best bait, I don't think its very oily, but it sure beats a bare hook.Can't hurt to try. Let us know how it works out.

4. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    you could always go get some large goldfish at walmart, ive had decent luck with them when no other live bait was to be had.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    try the local baitshops. they will probably have some sort of bait to use. There is even a little one here than has live Goldfish, Bluegill, Creek Chub, bullheads, and shiners. It also has frozen shad, skipjack, and mooneye. No need to a cast net there! Good luck!

I would also just stop at wal mart and get a cast net. The 20 bucks is well worth not wasting a day out on the water without the proper bait and not catching anything.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    it seems evry year at this time the bait heads out, (for deeper holes i guess).
    mid summer i can easily catch gills with a cane pole as fast as i can get the hook in the water, but just went to same hole yesterday n had a hard time just gettin 1 for my big pole to set out.