Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a newby. i just found this site . it is awesome. i have a couple of questions. when i go fishing to a lake usually it is late. can you catch gills at night. also i see some people use carp how big are they that you use. i have only seen big carp not blue gill size. sorry for being so long winded. thanks for any information.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
Hi Ken,,
I'm not very successful at catching bluegills at night,, but, it can be done,,
also, If you catch a Carp,, and, it's fairly large,, Scale it and cut off a filet , leave the skin on, and use that for bait,,
You can use the Heads, filets, etc.. also, don't forget Nightcrawlers.. They Will catch Flatheads!!!

and,, Welcome to the AZ/USCA!!!!:Happy:

·
Banned
216 Posts
bluegills all the t ime u can catch, carp u can net them and u can use them from 5 inches up to 15 inches great bait. try gizzard sad is the best for cats

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
i am a newby. i just found this site . it is awesome. i have a couple of questions. when i go fishing to a lake usually it is late. can you catch gills at night. also i see some people use carp how big are they that you use. i have only seen big carp not blue gill size. sorry for being so long winded. thanks for any information.
hey brother, i like carp and if the gills are big then i like those to but my heaven sent bait is 2-4# carp.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
the information is great . i am a newby to this site and i am glad i found it . i guess i haven't been using big enough bait for big catfish. thanks for the tips.
u hit it right on the head! if ur using big bait dont expect to catch a stringer of 10, but i would rather catch 3 big 40s then 10 10-15#ers. i just like to see big fish. i guess its like trophy hunting as oppose to meat hunting. By the way i prefer meat over fish so all my catches are back in the water with the exception of channels.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
u hit it right on the head! if ur using big bait dont expect to catch a stringer of 10, but i would rather catch 3 big 40s then 10 10-15#ers. i just like to see big fish. i guess its like trophy hunting as oppose to meat hunting. By the way i prefer meat over fish so all my catches are back in the water with the exception of channels.
I have caught big flatheads on regular sized gills and carp. I personally think that if you put a 6 inch gill in front of a 45 pound flathead, he aint going to refuse it. Or if he is cruising, that he won't pass up a 6 inch gill either. I would really like to see anyone catch 3 big 40's in one night. I think anyone who says they do this is full of crap. I do not think there is a man alive who can consistently pull in 40 pounders, all night long. This of course if not factual, and is only my opinion. BUT, I can see your point though, that you will only catch very large fish only on huge four pound baits. For the new guys reading this, if you fish with four pound carp, expect to be skunked many many many times.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I have caught big flatheads on regular sized gills and carp. I personally think that if you put a 6 inch gill in front of a 45 pound flathead, he aint going to refuse it. Or if he is cruising, that he won't pass up a 6 inch gill either. I would really like to see anyone catch 3 big 40's in one night. I think anyone who says they do this is full of crap. I do not think there is a man alive who can consistently pull in 40 pounders, all night long. This of course if not factual, and is only my opinion. BUT, I can see your point though, that you will only catch very large fish only on huge four pound baits. For the new guys reading this, if you fish with four pound carp, expect to be skunked many many many times.
Maybe u havent seen that heavy of a stringer with 4 fish but i have and they were all caught on big big carp. i know this because i gave him the carp that i thought were to big (4#s) and the next mourning.........well lets just say that each fish was very very impressive. He evan threw back what he called dinks (20#ers). THis is no BS, i saw each fish and u can ask whisker. He also has a album full of stringers with a 60 and 50s. But hey the proof is in the pudding

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
Maybe u havent seen that heavy of a stringer with 4 fish but i have and they were all caught on big big carp. i know this because i gave him the carp that i thought were to big (4#s) and the next mourning.........well lets just say that each fish was very very impressive. He evan threw back what he called dinks (20#ers). THis is no BS, i saw each fish and u can ask whisker. He also has a album full of stringers with a 60 and 50s. But hey the proof is in the pudding
I agree that big bait catches big fish, but big fish will also eat smaller bait. I am in no way calling you a liar or whisker fish. Nobody is out there catching 3 40 pounders a night, every night. Yes ,I have seen very heavy stringers before. I have also seen tons of huge fish caught of regular sized gills too, not only ones I caught, but others as well. The state record catch and release was caught on a cut carp head. AZflats from this site has that record, and he catches plenty of toads on cut bait. Da Chummer, who I think is definately one of the best Flatheaders in AZ, go check out his profile.
I seen you catch your PB on a smaller bluegill. So there is proof for the other argument, and that is why I say you can catch toads on both bait sizes.I always have preferred to fish with carp, and I actually fish very similarily to the way you describe, When i go to roosevelt. I catch pretty large carp at the diversion dam and fish with them. Mertanu catches lots of flats in the 15-20 pound range off shad. There are a lot of other things that come into play of why Old man dave catches a lot of fish, the amount of time he spends on the water, is probably the most imprtant to his sucess. The longer on the water, the better chances of hooking up. There is just no certain exact way to fish to gaurantee huge fish, and people who fish with large bait, can expect to be skunked a lot. There are not 40 50 60 70 80 90 pound flatheads in every cove. Just an FYI, I am not trashing anyones way of fishing, and I do not claim to know it all either, but I have seen both scenarios play out, and I have seen in the last 20 years of flathead catfishing, probably 20 or 30 fish over 60 pounds. Other peoples catches of course, with baits from Waterdogs, worms, small gills, huge gills, small carp, and monster carp.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Did he use the whole carps on there live or did he cut them up???? That is the question! He isn't going to tell you all his secrets...lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.