bait fish

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by joe long, Jul 15, 2009.

1. joe long

joe long New Member

State:
    arizona
    i am new to flathead fishing and i am wondering how you go about catching the bait fish i.e. carp and blue gills??? im going out to bartlet this weekend and need some bait so if you could help me out it would be great. thanks!!!!!

2. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was just at Bartlett last weekend. All i did was use a really small hook, no weight, and 1/4 of a meal worm. Threw it out by some rocks and under overhanging trees in the shallow areas at bartlett flats. They were all pretty small. Hopefully you get some bigger gills than me.

3. joe long

joe long New Member

State:
    arizona
    ok thats kinda what i thought but thanks for your help. did you do any good at bartlet?? any flattys

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I do the same hook & line bit but I've also had some luck setting mesh traps. Check the AZGF for the regs on that.

Attached Files:

5. dsfrye1

dsfrye1 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Joe Long see my Bartlett Newbie post for my catch

6. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Gerry...how long does it take for the bluegill (or other bait) to find the trap? How deep have you been setting it? Looks interesting...

7. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hey Gerry, where do you get a mesh trap like that? Could come handle when I'm fishing all night for flatties, I can sleep all day and still catch baitfish!!:big_smile:

8. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    I set the trap in the back of a cove at Bartlett near some submerged brush. I baited it with a few worms and salmon eggs. I didn't have it down for long, maybe a couple of hours and about 3 good bluegiulls were in it. Might have had more if I'd kept down longer. I'll bet there's some folks on this list that know how to work these things better thasn me. Now that I've got my boat back, I'm going tobe trying this again.

Toucan get them at Bass Pros Shop or at Cabella's

9. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    while i am unloading & preping my boat I have my son fish for gills with a small pole next to boat ramp. with a little bit of night crawler under bobber. he can usually fill the bait bucket by the time i unload the boat. The boat ramp will most likely be very busy on weekends. we go during the week.

10. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    hey zona have you or anyone else ever try a casting net?

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Nope. I've often wondered about that or a dipping net, provided you can sneak up on them.

12. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i can throw a casting net as long as i'm in my yard. get out in boat, and i'd make funniest video's. either tangling on something in boat, around me, or hits the water and looks like a straight rope out there. working on it though.
    gary