Bait fish question....

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Capt_Culver, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was doing some duck hunting on a river today. We sailed a mallard and had to go retrieve it. I had to go back up a small feeder creek where the mallard went down. There is a warm water discharge back there and there were TONS of these fish......I mean THOUSANDS! I had my cast net with me in the boat. So, I made one cast and caught 6 of these big 'shad' looking things. They ranged anywhere from 8-12 inches. I don't know what they are. They kind of look like a small carp....but, they were shiney like shad. Does anyone know what these are and would they be good bait? Sorry for the picture quaility...it was taken with my camera phone.

If I were to catch a bunch of these things, how do I keep them alive? I could put a tank with an aerator (sp?) in my basement. What would I feed them?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't know the different types of shad, skipjack..i have heard of some differences in some of them, like threadfin, etc. i can't tell by the pic. but i would imagine it is one of those, esp. if they were schooling. i have only been using shad for a short period of time, never caught a skippy, and mostly use fish for bait such as warmouth, greenies, smallies etc.. im sure someone else will be able to help you, but from the looks to me, you probably would be able to keep them alive with a setup similar to keeping shad. they will probably need some type of current including a higher oxygen content.. sorry im not an advisable dude on this one! lol! As, Austin Powers would say, " It's just not my bag baby"!:smile2: rollo

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    It is a little hard to tell for sure from the pic , they look like gizzard shad to me

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    They look like gizzard shad to me also. They are in lakes and streams all over Ohio. They are great catfish bait. I have seined them from creeks in the late fall/early winter and caught smallmouth bass with them. They make runs up the creeks in the winter.

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Even gizzard shad or Mooneyes...the Mooneyes have small teeth

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have to agree, looks like shad to me and the conditions sound right. They should be ranging from 4-6 or even 8 inches long right now. There has not been any extreme temperatures, therefore the big die off has not occurred. I would recommend catching some to freeze and use for bait later. I don't suppose I could talk you out of that location?? Perhaps you could message me with directions:wink:

7. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. I looked up gizzard sahd on google and that is exactly what they are. I need to find a way to keep them alive. We are going back down there in 1 week to catch a bunch. I will do some reading on here for holding tanks to keep them through the spring.

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Josh, they are not a fish that keeps well. It's hard enough trying to keep them alive for a nights fishing. What has proved to be the best kind of tank for them is round. In square ones they ram into and get stuck in the corners. Your best bet is to freeze some on a pizza pan then vacuum pack. What most of us have found to be the best bait is to catch them fresh right before we intend to use them and keep them on ice. When their blood runs red you will have the best action. :wink:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You wont be able to keep them alive for very long, if at all..Certainly not untill spring..I would just freeze them and use as cut bait.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man its kind of blurry but those look like gizzard shad

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Like the other guys said either freeze some for later use, or just catch enough for a days fishing and use them fresh. You will be able to keep some alive for the day in your bait bucket since the water is cold and holds more oxygen just don't overcrowd them.

12. Capt_Culver

Capt_Culver Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, we went back down there yesterday. Spent an hour with the cast net and landed 125 of these gizzard shad. We got back home and put 5/bag..then vacuum sealed them. Should have enough for a few months anyway.:wink:

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you are all set. With 5 per bag they will go faster than you think. Typically you will get about 3-5 cuts per fish (depending on size) and I would recommend changing bait every 20-30 minutes to keep a good scent in the water. So I would work on getting some more. The shad are going to go through the winter kill off real soon and it may be too late. The shad will give you a real advantage spring and early summer. The new shad will begin to swarm in late summer and then you will need to get some fresh ones.

14. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Kind of hard to say from the pic but i would say gizzard shad too. Wish i could find some nice ones like that. Lat time out wasn't able to catch any.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Where do you live in Ohio? We catch them year around and I am sure someone can point you in the right direction. You have found the number 1 bait for catfish in the interior of Ohio.

Yes, those are Gizzard Shad.

16. Corndawg

Corndawg New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ya need a round tank, they have to stay moving. A strong pump, and ice. Water temp must stay lower than normal or they stress. Thats how we use them to fish for stripes. That keeps them for a few days. Very hard to keep after that.

17. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    hey josh! looks like you're on the right track. those definently look like gizzard shad. i freeze them, usually 4 to 5 in a zip-loc bag. then i'm ready for spring. make great cutbait. they're hard keep alive.

good luck using them!!:big_smile: