Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 years ago I attended a big Carp fishing tournament and if I remember right it was in Manitowoc WI. They have it every summer. People come from England all over the World and USA to catch Carp. I seen some cool Fishing Gear.
12 foot long poles , bait feeder reels , special rod holders etc. Plus these bait feeder round plastic or steel boxes that you fill up with a dough ball / oatmeal type of concoction that hangs above your baited hook about 10 inches at most.
Its like they are chumming for the Carp to get them close to the baited hook. My Question is this....Has any one ever tired this technique CATFISHING ? I am thinking about buying a package of 3 of these bait feeder boxes and give it a try.
They only cost I think $10.00 for 3 of them. I also have a BIG OKUMA bait feeder reel that I am going to try with the rig
( I normally use ABU 6500c3 reels ) . What's your thoughts etc on theses bait feeder set ups for CATFISH. Thanks. Marty .

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,466 Posts
Marty, I am intrigued so I am tagging in to see how this goes. I know nothing about carp fishing and the techniques I hear about are mysterious to me.

·
Registered
KY, USA
191 Posts
It should work for catfish. How effective? I dunno. Catfish and Carp on Youtube use this and pretty sure he has caught some cats.

I have caught several cats when I was targeting carp or trout, but I was using corn as bait.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It absolutely works. I've Used this method for carp and catfish for MANY years. You can use the feeders but I prefer to use a catapult (slingshot with pouch to hold groundbait) to disperse my groundbait in lakes and slow flowing water. As a lot of tools that I have for fishing, I made my own catapult. They are cheap to buy but I just can't help making my own stuff. You can make your own groundbait and add some fish meal or blood meal as an extra attractant. Magic Bait Catfish Chum works well as an additive to your groundbait, if regular blood meal can not be acquired. Small offerings (pieces of your main bait) are usually cut up and mixed with your groundbait, to be placed into your swim (place you are fishing). This will attract the fish and entice them to feed. You can experiment with attractants such as, fish meal, blood meal, fish oil or any other dried or liquid animal protein. Anchovies in oil actually work pretty well, if you don't mind the smell or you can just add the anchovies oil by itself. These Seattle Sports camp sinks make excellent groundbait mixing bowls. I have one of these with the handles and a very old Krafty Katcher groundbait mixing bowl. My old Krafty Katcher bowl resembles the one without the handles. You can order groundbait bowls from other places online cheaper, but I picked mine up from the Cabela's store years ago and my Krafty Katcher was ordered back in the 1990's when European carp fishing methods were just taking off in the United States. Below is a couple pictures with my KK groundbait bowl and my homemade catapult.

Amazon.com : Seattle Sports Outfitter Class Collapsible Jumbo Camp Sink Wash Basin Bucket (Green) : Camping Kitchen Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Seattle Sports Outfitter Class Collapsible Jumbo Camp Sink Wash Basin Bucket (Blue), One Size (032802) : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Built U.S.A. Seattle Sports Pocket Sink : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have caught some whopper channel cats on carp gear over the years... add some chicken liver or shad guts to the method mix. Likely to attracts numbers not Size though.

If he wants that big fish, he needs to stick with larger pieces of cut bait on his hook and put the same thing in his groundbait as small offerings. Lots of people don't understand that, if you want a big fish use big bait. That is not always the case but it holds true most of the time. That larger piece of bait on the hook will keep the smaller channel cat from being able to eat it and attract the larger fish with the commotion. This method works even without chumming. The key is to be patient and not be tempted to grab the rod on every nibble. That's why I use a sturdy rod holder and circle hooks for this type of fishing. The smaller fish will be attracted to the chum then find your offerings and bait. Their feeding will stir up the water attracting the larger fish that will find your larger piece of hook bait that the smaller fish were unable to eat. You will know when that big fish has it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Never tried that before,or heard of it.closest thing to that I heard of is throwing out a can of tuna or fish cat food with holes punched in it a day or so before hitting that spot,I have never tried that either,heard guys swear by it though,one day I’ll try it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts