bait feeder and bait runner?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Dude, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Dude

Dude New Member

State:
    Virginia
    whats the difference between the baitfeeder and bait runner? and purpose

2. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Theres no difference at all. These reels are dual drag reels. You have the main drag of the reel on the top of the reel and the baitrunner drag on the rear of the reel. Basically, after you cast your line out, you flip a switch on the reel and you have now activated the baitrunner drag. Its usually kept lighter than the main drag so the fish that takes your bait can pull line easily. Now, when you have a fish taking line out , you flip that switch back and set the hook. Now your main drag is engaged to fight the fish. I have three Okuma Epixor Baitrunners and I love them. I hope this helps.

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Purpose of a baitfeeder?

Same reason you would engage your clicker on a baitcaster. You want the fish to be able to pick up your bait and swim off with it with very little resistance.

4. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    I was wondering about this myself, because I plan on buying a couple of GOOD spinning reels. I like the sound of the baitfeeder feature, and have decided to order a couple of Okuma Epixor EF-80's. Just before placing my order however, I noticed the Okuma Epixor EB-80. The EF-80 is listed as a spinning reel, and the EB-80 is listed as a baitfeeder spinning reel. After checking out the following two links, I'm confused:

http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=OKEF80
    http://catalog.catfishconnection.com/itemdetail.php?itemnumber=OKEB80

The reason I'm confused, is because BOTH of these models are listed as having the "Extra Drag System" (EDS). Does this mean that both reels are baitfeeders? The two big differences in the specs are price (the EB80 costs 32$ more than the EF80) and weight (the EB80 weighs 12.5 ounces more than the EF80). Basically, I'm wondering if the extra price and weight is worth it? From what I gather, the baitfeeding system is pretty quiet - both models have a 'No' in the 'Bait alarm' box.

I'm about to order 2 of one model or the other, so I would appreciate any input from owners of either!

Thanks,
    -J

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The extra drag is the actual drag not the baitfeeding system, the epixor has a great drag..Now the reel you want is the EB It has the baitfeeder, trust me I have one and they are a great spinning reel.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On the EB picture you will notice the big lever on the back of the reel, this is the baitfeeder, the small lever you see on the other just turns the anti reverse on and off, the eb has one of those just in a different location.

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Thanks Flathunter, EB it is! One more question: do you have trouble hearing a fish make a run w/ the baitfeeder?

8. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Like I've said before, thats the one downfall of the Okuma baitrunners. The bait clicker isn't loud enough in my opinion. Other than that, an awesome reel.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The clickers are not loud on any of my baitfeeding spinning reels, even the shimanos..you have to keep a close eye on them, you can here them, but not fro a very far distance. If you are setting close to your rods you will be fine.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One more thing that reel is huge, I have the eb65, and I still had to trim down the reel foot to fit on my rods.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    One more things, those 80's are huge reels, Ihave the 65's and they are big..I had to trim down the reel foot to get it to fit on my rods.

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    flathunter,What rods are you having to trim the Epixor EB-65 reel foot to fit? I have the Coronado CD-90,s,and they fit the rods I have them on.I would like to know what rods to stay away from.Good info.to file for the future.thanks,peewee-williams

13. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    The EB series of these reels are not SMALL! They are Great reels and the Baitfeeder option is Smooth to say the least. The EB-80s that I have are used for Salt and Fresh water and perform exceptionally. The ability to hear them when the Baitfeeder is engaged is compensated by using a Bite Alarm. This is more Euro in principle, but many of the US Carp anglers are using them. You do not need to purchase a High priced model, but should look at what BPS and Cabela's has available. I think that the cheepest one available is about $10.00 maximum. You have the choice of many that are on the market that will indicate the taking of line by the fish when the Baitfeeder is engaged.

HOPPY4