Bait Dieing In Tank At Home HELP !!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Sonny Kemp, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    I have lost 2 bunches of jumbo minnows and now 2 of bream in less than a month.I have a 75 gal oval shaped insulated 2 in thick fiberglass tank.I put a 525 gph pond pump with a big square filter with bio balls in it all new from Lowes inside the tank.Ran pvc up and across back and both ends and drilled small holes to spray like most of them on here look like.Lost 1 bunch all at once about 6 days later.Changed everything and added another pipe with a tube to draw air in piped to bottom of tank looks like enough small bubbles for anything.Also redid filter to piece of ac foam filter wrapped around inlet pipe inside tank to pump.I do have city water Im treating with chlorine chloramine and ammonia reducer bought from Lowes at 5 ml per 10 gal.These bream lasted about a day and a half.If they want live I figure something got to be pretty bad wrong.Thanks for any suggestions. Sonny

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your tank is too small for the amount of bait that you have in it. The bait is stressed. There is an ammonia build up due to overcrowding as noticed by a foam buildup after a couple of days most likely. You probably need a tank around 300 gallons. A poly tank this size should cost around $250.00 at Lowe's or Tractor Supply( Farm Supply Co.) Think horse tank.

catman george

3. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Being new, it probly hasn't "cycled". That means ammonia is probly killing the fish. It can take a while to build up the natural bacterias that turn the ammonia in to less harmful nitrites. My best advice is to keep throwing fish at it until it cycles. Also you can get media from anyone with an established aquarium and throw it in there to help speed up the process.

4. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Go get yourself a test kit. You can test for ammonia as well as other things.
    The aboce suggestions are great.
    "Cycling" means you must add a few fish at a time till the good bacteria have had time to colonize in your tank and begin destroying ammonia.
    Thats the biggest fish killer.
    "Tank start-up" is a good choice. Most fish stores sell it.
    Hope this helps.
    Keith

5. Flatheadzz

Flatheadzz New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Make sure there is not a big differance in water temp from which you got your fish in compared to temp in bait tank.

6. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    If and when I get this working right when I change water and clean filter will I do away with the bacteria accumalated in tank or what?Does the bacteria accumalate in the filter?Should I go back to the filter with the balls in the bottom?My understanding is that is where the bacteria accumalates and grows.Is that correct?Many thanks for all responses.I think Ill go to a fish store and get some startup and such and try again.Best I can tell my live bait is worth about $10 a piece.:smile2:

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If you have a Pets Smart or a store dedicated to tropical fish, take a water sample to them and they will generally test for free. My well water has too much nitrates and it don't get any better over time. I have to try and catch rain water in order to get neutral water, and thats a pain. It is just easier to buy a few dozen minnows, freeze what I don't use, and use them the next time. So far, the blues and channels haven't stuck their noses up in the air at frozen minnows. LOL

8. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas

The bacteria accumulate on all surfaces. The more surface area you ave the better. You can add surface area with aquaruim gravel, Weighted sponges and any number of different ways. Your filter will have a huge number of bacteria in it. I don't know exactly what filters you're using but its my guess that the one with the bioballs will be ther better of the 2.

9. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bigger tank!!

10. catterman

catterman New Member

State:
    va
    i did not even have to read your hole post you put wild fish with non wild fish

11. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    YOU SHOULD HAVE READ THE WHOLE POST... he said he put the bream in after the minnows died:cool2:!

12. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I've been into aquariums for over a year now, and its deffinately just not cycled.

Cycling with fish is neither necessary or recommended.

Generally I'd recommend using pure ammonia and a complete water chemistry test kit, but since you probably aren't going to want to invest in that, I'd say throw about a dozen frozen shrimp in there. Just leave them be with the filters running for about a week, then take the shrimp and throw them out and do about a 90% water change and add in some minnows.

That should do it for ya.

13. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Fellows yall knew what you were talking about.Theres something to this cycling deal.I have to admit I was pretty skeptical.I took a water sample to Pet Smart and had it checked .The lady said it was good to go and the same as yall needed cycling and bacteria.I bought a bottle of bacteria and added that and let it run 4 or 5 days drained about half the water off ,refilled and added about 50 bream.Thats been approx 2 weeks and 0 dead.Some were brought back after 2 trips fishing.I surely do appreciate the help and if a dummy can ever assist yall in any way Im available.Many Thanks. Sonny:wink:

14. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    Glad to hear it brother. Try and keep fish in it. Also remember to increase the number of fish gradually. In other words if you have 20 fish now and you dump 20 more you'll likely have problems.