bait deployment boats

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by LazyBum, Aug 18, 2009.

1. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Does anybody here use a bait deployment boat, or also known as a dam boat?

2. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    never heard of that what is it?

3. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
  4. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    that boat looks familiar.. may have seen you out at keystone before.. I've seen alot of these boats used.. pretty neat..

5. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

Let me know next time you're gonna fish Keystone, and I'll see about maybe catching ya down there. I can bring my boat.... I use a Penn 6/0 with 80lb test to control the boat, and have it on a 7' snagging rod.

6. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Will do steve.. I dont fish out there too often.. but i've been out there quite a few times.. I just hate losing so much gear down there.. they been generating a whole lot lately? or seen many stripers come out of there recently?

7. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

About all I ever lose there is sinkers and hooks..... Honestly, I haven't been in a couple weeks... They re-did the south side of the dam, and have the north side down re-doing it and is just too crowded on the south side. I seldom ever fish the north side cause I fish for cats and norht side is more for stripers. I have seen some BIG stripers come out of there...

8. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    A friend of my dad uses one. I thought it was awesome the first time I saw it! Where he fishes in OK, he can't get close to the dam...so he uses his little boat to take his bait, and drop it just where he wants it...and MAN has he caught some monsters that way! Nobody else can reach the places he can get to with that boat! :big_smile:

9. walkeraw

walkeraw New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    interesting!....... Steve, how in the world do you control/use that boat?

10. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    On the front, there is a metal bar that sticks out, thats your steering wheel, and electric contact for your motor. Ya set the motor to the left a little... This will make the boat default going left, the bar in the front on the right ya hook to a pretty good size reel and when you want it to go right, you pull on the rod a little bit, and it goes right, you wanna go left, you let off the pressure on the right and the boat will go left.

Ya get where you want it to be, you pull real hard on the pole, like setting a hook, and it breaks the electric contact, and then pulls that bar straight out and you reel it in.

I use a Penn 6/0 with 80lb test, and a 7' snagging rod I picked up at bass pro that has a metal seat. The reel will take about 350 yards of 80lb test which for where I fish is plenty.

11. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Grandson uses one a Webber Falls and they catch a lot of big fish. I've never used one, but would like to.

12. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man what would make for a depressing day is if u accidently broke ur line and that lil boat went floating away into the current of the dam and sunk....but besides that thought i love it!

13. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    if an when I get up there again, I'll bring mine.

14. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    I have seen guys lose their boats... The most costly thing is the trolling motor... finding a 20-25lb thrust is getting hard... Thats why I use a 80lb test, if that doesn't work, I'll go to 120 braid. But, we've never had a 80 break on us... The boat itself is only a few pounds, we use a 20 dollar gardent tractor battery from walmart.

15. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl

Here is another picture of this. This is a friend of mine thats steering it, I am holding the bait pole. You'll see we have 2 hooks, and a big noodle as our "float".

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa95/misterlazybum/boat5.jpg

16. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    looks like you've already got a few cats on ur stringer in that pic too! ... do u set ur "float" up to slide like a slip cork.. or is that the depth ur fishing?

and is there a sluice gate on the dam there also?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  17. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i swear ive seen that orange boat before.. i've only fished the north side of keystone dam for stripers.. but ive seen that bugger before.. ur definately gonna have to show me how that thing works..

I've got a trolling motor just sittin in my garage.. maybe you could show me how to build one... :cool2:

Ken

18. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    Be happy to show you how to build one..... How big of trolling motor your have?

19. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its a motorguide t34.. 34lb thrust.. how many runs do you usually get with that battery?

20. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    that would be a good size... The one in the pic I have here is a little big, it's a 65lb thrust.

I really don't know how many runs we make. The guy that has this one, he has 2 batteries and they have been dropped in the lake, all kinda stuff... we run one until it gets weak, then put on another one and put one on the charger up in the truck. But we get quite a few runs on it each charge.