BAIT DEEP FREEZER UNTHAWED. HELP!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by FLATHEAD STEVE, Feb 18, 2008.

1. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    About a week ago my 3 year old turned my bait freezer down all the way, now i have about 6 inches of ice with rotten bait in the bottom... I have yet to figure a "GOOD WAY" of getting it or the stench out. So to any one who has had to do this before, I could use a few good ideas.....THANKS,

STEVE

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    wow that is going to be nasty good luck on that one

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bleach and water. Lots of it:wink:. Probably still won't be something you want to put your popsicles in but should get it de-stinkified enough to keep using it for a bait fridge. Good luck~

Branden

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If the bleach doesn't get rid of the smell, try using a thin paste of baking soda and water. Scrub well, let set, then rinse. If there is any remaining smell, you can put several charcoal briquettes inside a stocking and keep that in the freezer to absorb it.

5. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    citrius cleaner of some kind. gets 95 % of the smell gone. but its still slightly detectable ..like the man said ,i wouldnt want to put my pop cycles in it..

sounds like you now have a bait freezer lol

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, I really don't know what to tell you!!!
    I know that katsup.....or as they say way down south..Ketchup will take the skunk smell off of a dog. Smear some all over the inside of the freezer "what do you have to lose", LOL!!!
    The bleach and baking soda should do it though!!!

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yup, thats a good one! LOL. I had a similar situation years ago, kids unplugged the deep freeze, had a bunch of whole chickens in it. We didnt notice it till the stink started. Man, I dont think anything stinks worse than rotten raw chicken,,,except maybe fish.
    We emptied it out, sopped up the juice, and scrubbed it inside with pure bleach (be carefull to wear some rubber gloves, eye protection,and do it in a well ventilated area). Let it sit open for about a week, and scrubbed it inside again. The wife put about 6 boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda in there and closed it up, and plugged it in. It will still have a stench for a long while, but as time goes by it gets better. Good luck!

8. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    If life deals you a punch, make punch bait. Add some cheese, some ground up hog brains and enough cat tail fuzz to thicken it up.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    after clean up with bleach use tomato juice not ketchup wash it down in tomato juice and let it set for 30 min before rinsing the tomato juice off.

10. ShannonLane4

ShannonLane4 Member

State:
    TN
    I just got a couple freezers gave to me that had been turned down except this didnt have fishing bait in it. This thing had bob cats,coyotes.turkeys and deer meat.All of that was rotton in there but froze back. I just took it off in the woods dumped it out while im trying not to gag the whole time and went and got several gallons of bleach poured in added water let it sit a day or two. then i was able to get in it and clean it without the stinch

11. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
  12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I use something called odor out. At least thats what I think it's called. It's what i use in my coolers that i forget to take out of the boat. It takes the smell out of coolers that I have had in the boat for over a week with dead shad and carp. Also removed the stink from times I left bait in the bait well all day in 100+ degree heat while at work. Come home and there nothing left of them cooked right there into a paste.

13. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Kitty litter's pretty good about getting stink out.

I think new litter would be a good investment.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    looks like u have plenty of things to try ,good luck

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If its empty take it to the car wash then do the bleach-baking soda......we went thru this when my mom passed-someone unplugged a little freezor and the hole thing went bad.....It cleaned up nicely though....Let it dry out real good before plugging it in.Good luck I feel you.........

16. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Bleach and water, then bleach and water and then even more bleach and water. Gonna have to let it air out real good. Bleach will kill anything that is on the inside of your fridge. I try to keep a box of baking soda in my deep freeze. Had the same thing happen to me and the above is what I did, it got rid of the smell and cleaned it up great, carefull though the bleach can cause a reaction to your skin.

17. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    And then it will smell like pizza instead! And who doesn't like pizza!!:wink:

18. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    my grandparents had a very very large deep freezer. bigger then any of the ones i see out now . cause i went trying to price check one like it . but anyway. it had been runnign for 20 plus years in the garage. and for id say 15 of those . you didn't even know it was there . cause his garage was so cluttered. one of those things when he passed . we found it . and was like man where did that come from. but it must of had 1000 dollars of groceries in it .all almost frozen in 2 feet of water and frost . i'm talking whole turkeys , hams . prolly over 1000 dollars in todays money. and i must say it has never smelled the same.i scrubed with blecch water and everything. i still got it and use it . and its not to bad really. but its still stinks some . i found that i think the odors obsorbed into the insulation of the frezzer. its like a foam or somthing . all i know is its porus. so my only advice , try backing soda or somthing that eats odor. i tried aquarium charcol. it seemed to help. i just through a ton in a panty hose and put her in ....

19. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Clean it out as good as you can. Use baking soda to absorb as much as it will. Then put a half a grocery bag full of cedar chips in there to mask whats left.

20. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    After you get it cleaned out with bleach the remainder of odor will be where you canot get cleaners in to and the only way that I know is to go to your local rental place and get a ozone generator and put it in the freezer and close the door leaving the door gapped about a inch and let it run for one week and the odor should be gone.