Bait cutting boards

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BigMuddyOne, Jan 20, 2008.

1. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    I am looking or some Ideas for mounting a bait board over the side of the boat. I have seen the commercial ones, but I don't have gimmbel rod holders on my boat. I have a 1654 Tracker Grizzly that has 1" deep by 3" wide alluminum gunnels. I was working on mounting a board with hinges that would fold into the boat when I am running and towing. I know someone on the BOC has a great design for this. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Have you ever seen any of the RAM mount mounting systems. I was going to use one of there larger mounts to mount into my t-trac (could be mounted anywher on the gunnel or inside wall of a boat) and attach a cutting board when needed. Would be easy to remove and make adjustments if needed. Let me know if you need more info or if this doesn't make sense and I will come up with some pictures of something like I am talking about.:big_smile:
    Something like the mount pictured in my attachment.

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

3. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
  4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    wow, $50.. Heh.. I just went to Wally world and bought a $1.50 cutting board and a $2 roll of sticky Velcro.. Just pull it up to clean, and won't blow out when trailering and running....

5. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    I have looked at the Magna econo boards, but the mounting hardware needs 4 inches to mount and won't fit my boat. They make the cutting board material in big sheets of varying thickness (1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 inch) available at West Marine called Starboard. Great for custom jobs, and apparently it can be worked like wood. Its pretty pricy though. I like the velcro idea, but I was looking for something more substantial. I am looking for a way to mount a 20 to 22" long cutting board that has rails and knife holder slots much like the commercial ones. I was thinking about making one out of a 1 by 12 as a prototype and covering it with the cutting sheets they sell at Wally world.

6. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Big Dav, my thoughts exactly :big_smile:. You could go to Wally World or the Dollar store and get a white plastic cutting board cheap. I think they are made out of Polyethylene plastic. I have one of these mounted to the top of a cooler for my cut bait.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Another i would have with the RAM mount system. I can mount extra ball bases in different areas, such as each gunnal and on the rod rack across the back. When needed I can simply remove and replace where needed. Puts the cutting board where I want or need it for that trip. I am going to use the Ram mounts that have the 1 1/2 " ball and the Arm is 8 inches in length. Allow for plenty of adjustment wherever it is mounted.
    I haven't decided whether to buy the board or make it from UHMW Polyethylene. Probably be able to buy a commercial unit almost as cheap as I cam buy the UHMW material. The cheapest I can find a piece on Ebay is about $40 shipped for a piece large enough to use.
    I am tired of using my cooler top and one of the cheap boards that is never where it needs to be and having to keep the cooler right in the way at all times. Plus this way it makes for one less thing that needs to be secured to move positions.
    I know there are much cheaper ways to cut bait. This is just what I was going to do for myself.:big_smile: Thought others might like the idea as well.

Thanks
    David

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Brother, having a cutting board over the outside of the boat is a good way to lose a knife.

I went to Dollar General and got me a board for less than two dollars, same kind as the guys got at Wally World. They are easy to store and clean. A Ram mount is just something else for you to hit getting in and out of the boat.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I have a friend that does a lot of kitchen counter tops and he saves me all the cutout pieces when he cuts out the hole for the sink. If they are bigger than I need I just cut them down and they sometimes last several years before I lose them or have to replace and the cost is nothing.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have to agree with LakeNormanBlues on this one.

A RAM mount if a lot to spend. I like having my cutting board loose so I can clean, and so that it can be moved so that others on the boat can use it. I thought about having one that hangs over the side, but the problems outweighed the convenience.

Cutting boards are cheap at Wal-Mart or other discount stores.

11. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    My wife picked me up a couple of dandy white plastic cutting boards from the University of Iowa surplus store.They are big and used but heck I'm cutting up fish on the river.
    I think she paid a couple of bucks each.
    I just keep it in the well in front of my jon.Can't hardly blow out laying flat like that so they ought to last a long time.
    the best to ya
    just

12. BigMuddyOne

BigMuddyOne New Member

State:
    MO
    I am liking the Ram mount idea, if I can part with the $. I am going to work on a hinged model that folds into the boat for towing , fish landing and running in rough water. I understand the arguments against an over the side cutting board, but haven't used one my self. Just gotta learn some things the hard way. I would like to try building one out of counter top pieces. Someone said that ?corriander? (if I have the name right) is the way to go. I couldn't find any at Lowes so I am going to bug the cabinet shop down the street from my house. I let you know how things pan out.

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
  14. jeepnsammys

jeepnsammys New Member

State:
    nebraska
  15. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I won 2 Fentress bait cutting boards on e-bay a couple weeks ago. One was a large one with the adjustable mounting kit, I got it for $32. The smaller one I plan to leave loose in the boat for an extra, I got it for $8. Both have the drip holes and holes for fillet knife and pliers. If you'll shop around on e-bay you can pick up some of the expensive boards for well below retail.